Re: Copyright assignment

On Thu, 2004-05-08 at 15:15 +0200, Murray Cumming wrote:
> > On Thu, 2004-05-08 at 14:52 +0200, Christoffer Olsen wrote:
> > My solution: assign copyright to Foundation, Foundation assigns to
> > Novell. One set of paperwork. Foundation can protect copyrights its
> > still owns. Discuss.
>
> Assuming that the (pointless) point of that would be to stop Novell from
> owning the copyright, I don't see how that's supposed to work. Whether
> it's the individuals giving it, or the Foundation giving it, you can't
> give someone the copyright while not giving them the copyright. Well,
> maybe a lawyer could.
>

> Murray Cumming

Sorry Murray, I might not have been clear. I have *no* problem with
Novell owning copyright. I have a problem with the *possibility* that in
the *future* we might have N projects requiring assignment, with N
pieces of paper to sign.

If we assign to Foundation, Novell gets their copyrights, project N gets
theirs, theres only one paper to sign, and the Foundation can protect
whats left over.

In trying not to generate noise, I wasn't clear! Any other questions?

Cheers,
Ryan