Re: Copyright assignment

On Sun mulls about buying Novell and what that means for software such
as Evolution.

http://news.com.com/Sun+mulls+buying+Novell/2100-7344_3-5292579.html

On Mon, 2004-08-02 at 09:03 -0700, Rob Adams wrote:
> As a community, we need to decide whether we are interested in seeing
> copyright on project code assigned to a publicly-held, proprietary
> software company, no matter how benevolent it may seem at present.
> There are dangers involved, though the dangers are mitigated by the
> nature of the GPL -- that much I can tell you without a lawyer.

Sun is not really benevolent, specially in dangerous matters such as
software patents.
Sun has (fortunately) made big and valuable contributions to our GNOME
community, but that's only because it suits it as a company who also has
some interest in the desktop area (replacing the very bad CDE, JDS,
etc...) and not simply out of good will.

But this is getting very OT, this should be brought up to the GNOME
Foundation (please respect the reply-to I've set and don't continue the
thread here).

Foundation board, would you please look into this subject?
Should the Foundation pressure Novell into assigning copyright to the
FSF or GNOME Foundation?
And changing the copyright assignment rules to match this change?

The Main Problem[tm] I see is that even though the GNU GPL gives us some
assurance to fork, some of the main developers, however, could probably
be locked out of development on the Free Software version, and that
would be a strong nuisance.

Regards, Rui

+ So let's do it...?