Re: RealMedia used for GUADEC live transmissions?

On Mon, Jun 23, 2003 at 04:49:23AM +0100, Ciaran O'Riordan wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 22, 2003 at 04:49:10PM +0100, Glynn Foster wrote:
> > Hey there,
> >
> > >  On  http://live.guadec.org/audiovideo.html  I can read:
> > >
> > >     Live 150kps Real Video Stream from Burke Theatre
> > >                     ^^^^^^^^^^
> > >
> > > I'm sorry, but I feel it is extremely awkward that a project aimed at
> > > making people use a Free Software desktop promotes using non-free
> > > software.
> > >
> > > I can understand the motivation and how it may have been well intended,
> > > but this should not continue.
> >
> > I'll put you down for helping at next years conference then. There are
> > also issues with drivers for video cameras, etc etc.
> >
> > Look forward to you solving the issue, and attending GUADEC next year.
>
> There are Free Software solutions to this problem: MPEGs, Vorbis Theora,
> and no-videos.  If there is a shortage of manpower or video skills then
> the no-video option is the simplest.
>
> The problem is that the website encouraged the use of proprietary
> software and file formats.  The solution is to remove the videos.

GNOME and the foundation is not looking for the easiest or simplest
solution, but for the best solution.  Removing the videos is not the
best solution.  Converting the videos to an open format and providing
a decent stable viewer is the best solution.  I would hope by
suggesting using another video format you are not just complaining,
but willing to help resolve this issue you have brought up.

Eric Baudais