Re: Minutes of the Board meeting June 15 2003

ons 2003-06-18 klockan 18.55 skrev Eric Baudais:
> On Wed, Jun 18, 2003 at 10:56:53AM -0400, Daniel Veillard wrote:

> >       - improve the documentation
>
> What documentation do you think needs improving?  Right now Sun is doing the
> core desktop documentation and the GDP is working on documentation around the
> edges so to speak.  Also Shaun McCance has been submitting patches to improve
> Yelp.  His patches has been mainly to improve the XSL transformations as well
> as improving the time it takes Yelp to load a document.

The development documentation is somewhat lacking. Especially critical
is the lack of tutorial type docs explaining how to start writing a
Gnome program (having a reasonable template for autoconf, going over
what tools to use and so on). Getting over that first hurdle is likely
the most difficult step for anyone to become a Gnome developer, and
cannot be made too easy and clear.

> >     ACTION: Tim to look into merchandising options around our logo and
> >         GUADEC proceedings
>
> I think more people would be interested in buying merchandise if it
> was interesting and fairly new.  One example is Calum's t-shirt for
> GUADEC.  I would love to see the t-shirt sold by the foundation and
> would probably buy one.  I believe merchandise with just the GNOME
> logo is okay, but not terribly exciting (i.e. not making me think that
> is really cool, I want one!)
>
> I also think the merchandise needs to be advertised on the gnome.org website as
> well as on the foundation.gnome.org website.  The merchandise can possibly be
> advertised at GUADEC and other conferences.  I'm not sure if this is feasible though
> due to other companies giving away t-shirts or not.

Hm. I have been involved around the edges of Gnome for a couple of years
now (and was a user before then), and I had no idea there even was any
merchandise available. Telling people about it would clearly be a good
first step. :)

--

Trust the Computer. The Computer is your friend.

Tel.    +46-046 222 8588             Dr. Janne Morén (mr)
Home:   +46-046 211 4973             Dept. of Cognitive Science
Fax:    +46-046 222 9758             Kungshuset, Lund
                                     S-222 22 Lund, Sweden