Re: Questions

On Sun, 2003-12-28 at 19:01, Andreas J. Guelzow wrote:
> On Sun, 2003-12-28 at 06:40, Andrew Sobala wrote:
> > The release team tries to mirror the opinion of the community when
> > deciding what becomes part of GNOME [Desktop and Developer Platform and
> > Language Bindings].
> In the time I have been part of this and other lists I have seen no
> indication that the "opinion of the community" has been requested or
> positively reacted upon.

Call for modules:
(and the many, many subthreads)

Call for modules:

Round and round we go. 2.6
Call for modules:
We haven't finished the rest, yet :-)

> > We can't put every piece of GNOME software in there,
> > because...
> >
> > The GNOME Desktop is meant to be a coherent whole consisting of the
> > tools that the most useful to the average desktop user.
> I guess some of us are lucky that this isn't really true: the "average"
> desktop user probably does not need the accessibility stuff and all
> those translations (just one) etc.

That's true, and not really what I mean. In the past when this has come
up, it's been pointed out in the past that we're really aiming at a
"Greatest Common Factor" of what a user wants and needs from a desktop.
And then people disagreed, and people disagreed with the disagreeing.
It's very hard to define what we want from GNOME; luckily, we seem be
able to reach a majority consensus on what it is. [See links, above.]

Andrew Sobala <aes gnome org>