Re: Minutes for Board Meeting 2002-09-24

Le Tue, 1 Oct 2002 09:16:40 -0400, jody peabody ximian com a ecrit :

>   - Membership Committee
>       : Clarify Guidelines
> 	  * Jim proposed simple guideline
> 	      'If you have ever contributed to GNOME and wish to be a
> 	      member you can be a member'
> 	      = Unanimous agreement by those present
> 	      = The key element is 'desire to be member', interpretation
> 	      of 'contribution' should be lax, including QA, usability,
> 	      and advocacy.

If the key element is 'desire to be member', then the committee simply
accepts anybody who applies : except for the spam, the application we
received are from people who have contributed to GNOME. Do we really
need a committee for that ?

Another aspect of these guidelines is the fact that members don't need
to be currently active in the GNOME community : their contributions
don't need to be recent. I really doubt this is good.

In fact, I think the main question which has to be answered is whether
being member of the Foundation is a right or a privilege. With these
proposed guidelines, it is a right but I strongly think it has to be a
privilege: a member can be candidate to the Board, can issue a
referendum, can be responsible for a GEP.

IMHO, Jeff's proposal is worth considering.

> 	  * Annual renewal
> 	      = Verify contact info
> 	      = Ensure that member still wants to be member

Does that mean that a membership now lasts only one year ? It previously
ended after two years. I would like the board to clarify if it is up to
the committee to automatically renew memberships every year or if the
member has to renew his membership.

Les gens heureux ne sont pas presses.