Minutes for Board Meeting 2002-09-24

	  Minutes of the GNOME Board meeting September 24 2002


    Nat Friedman (chair)
    Jim Gettys
    Jody Goldberg (minutes)
    James Henstridge
    Daniel Veillard (:15)
    Havoc Pennington
    Tim Ney
    Miguel de Icaza
    Federico Mena (:20)

    Telsa Gwynne
    Jonathan Blandford

Actions Done:

    ACTION: Havoc to get the specs for a CVS box
        => Done


  ACTION: Jim to restart the font discussions with various parties
	=> Jim reported progresses with a well-known font maker,
	   Jim have the fonts and tries to close the deal. It will
	   still need a bit of work on the fonts themselves.

  ACTION: Nat and Jonathan talk to gnome-sysadmin about adding ssh
          tunneling for GNOME CVS access
        => Jonathan will try to get this scheduled with Owen, pending

  ACTION: Jody volunteer for working on producing a first
       draft of ABI rules for GNOME-2 releases, get involvment from
       someone at Sun, and make sure the draft get some review.
	=> Worked on it but not finished yet

  ACTION: Tim looking at structuring tutorials, need to send a call for speakers
	=> Tim worked on this with Guadec 3, pending

  ACTION: Jonathan to work with Louie to put the organisation chart on the
          web site.
        => In the absence of Jonathan, we don't know

    ACTION: Tim to then do fund raising for the CVS box
        => Send out the requests waiting for replies.

    ACTION: Telsa to draft a guideline for the usage of the Gnome Logo
        => Done, in the agenda item

New Actions:


  - approve last meeting minutes:

  - Membership Committee
      : Clarify Guidelines
	  * Jim proposed simple guideline
	      'If you have ever contributed to GNOME and wish to be a member
	       you can be a member'
	      = Unanimous agreement by those present
	      = The key element is 'desire to be member', interpretation of
		'contribution' should be lax, including QA, usability, and

	  * Annual renewal
	      = Verify contact info
	      = Ensure that member still wants to be member

	  * Should simplify life of membership committee.

      : Membership of Membership committee
	  * Contact Mike re: potential un-resignation
	  * Apologize to Mike specificly and membership in general for lack
	    of clarity.
	  => Miguel volunteers to join membership comittee to help clarify.

      : Elections
	  * Get the membership clarified according to new guidelines before
	    starting elections.  Revisit at next meeting.

  - Foot Logo
      : Mechanism for people to request permission to use foot
	  - To maintain viability of the trademark the foundation
	    needs explicit written permission requests.

      : Discuss Guidelines for who can use trademarks
	  - Telsa's proposal
	      * Unanimous agreement
	      * Nat splits 'not-profit' to have a 'personal use'
	        subcategory that is very lenient.
	      * Telsa also suggests a 'Do not use this for nasty
	        stuff, but we can take a good joke.'
	      * Treat this as first draft and assume that Tim will need
		clarification when reality intrudes.
	      * Tim and James researched things to see how other groups
		handle this and the lawyers liked Apple's approach for the
		quicktime logo.  Apple posts request form on web to simplify
	      * Telsa also suggests that once we have links to
	        legalese to request the foot, we should add links to
	        eps/svg versions and additional sizes for

[Date Prev][Date Next]   [Thread Prev][Thread Next]   [Thread Index] [Date Index] [Author Index]