Re: Questions

On Sat, 2002-11-16 at 14:52, Richard Stallman wrote:

> I would like to ask the other candidates to say what they will do to
> help GNOME promote the cause of software freedom, and how they will
> help closer relations between GNOME and the whole GNU Project.

I've seen the relationship between GNOME and the FSF in the past as
somewhat bipolar. GUADEC2 was an example in point - on one hand there
was a scramble for forms to assign copyright of works to the FSF, on the
other there was widespread incredulity at the 'program stickering'
incident.

As stated in my previous answers, one of my goals is to increase the use
of GNOME in the government and non-profit sectors. Since I don't imagine
many hackers want to 'jump through the hoops' which this entails, I see
closer working with the FSF as advantageous in this and many respects.

On the other hand, it sometimes feels like GNOME developers - who its
must be remembered are out there developing, releasing and maintaining
free software already, are treated by the FSF and often by Richard like
naughty children who would sell-out their principles at a moment's
notice. A little more trust in this direction would go a long way to
restoring a happier working relationship.

Mike