Minutes of GNOME Board meeting February 26th 2002

Late. Mea culpa.

          Minutes of the GNOME Board meeting 26th February 2002


	Jonathan Blandford
	Jim Gettys
	Jody Goldberg
	Telsa Gwynne (minutes)
	James Henstridge (:35)
	Miguel de Icaza (:35)
	George Lebl
	Tim Ney
	Havoc Pennington (chair)

	Daniel Veillard 

	Nat Friedman
	Federico Mena Quintero

Actions done:

  ACTION: Havoc draft the agenda of the Advisory Board meeting
	=> Done. See discussion section below. 


  ACTION: Tim, John and Havoc to get a draft statement on the relation
          with the free software foundation and license policy.
	=> Still pending.

  ACTION: Jim to restart the font discussions with various parties
	=> Jim had a meeting last week with various people and 
        will continue to work on this. 

  ACTION: Nat and Jonathan talk to gnome-sysadmin about adding ssh
          tunneling for GNOME CVS access
	=> This has been postponed until after Gnome 2.

  ACTION: Nat to talk to Havoc to get a discussion about rules
          w.r.t. backward compatibility rules in the 2.x time.
	=> Nat has been on holiday; got back yesterday. 

  ACTION: Tim and Miguel check for logistic and policy of funding
          people travels and accomodations.
	=> Tim has been following this up. We have several individual
	nominations/requests for funding, but need the overall picture.
  ACTION: Jody and Leslie to find possble presentators from KDE,
          StarOffice and CUPS.
	=> Still pending

New Actions:

  ACTION: Havoc to bounce draft by-laws to foundation-list so everyone can
          see them.


On the Advisory Board meeting agenda: the general theme is sharing
information. Current proposal:

	o Presentation on Gnome 2.0 to open meeting.
	o Looking at current and future userbase: will invite members
	to make presentations on that, as we expect several Advisory 
	Board members to have information on that.
	o Find out what features the Advisory Board members would
	like to see in Gnome.
	o Discussion of future releases: what is contained in 
	'platform', 'apps', 'fifth toe' (that name makes sense to
	people who know the Gnome foot has four toes but not to 
	anyone else..) 
	o What is Gnome currently lacking? (This might be part of
	the initial 2.0 presentation.)

Nat wanted to discuss ABIs: guarantees and plans. He wasn't here,
so postponed.

Tim Ney forwarded the proposed by-laws for the legal entity that
is the Gnome Foundation. They're long and legalistic and arrived
yesterday, so not everyone has read them yet. It will take a
foundation board meeting to adopt them, so we all need to read
them and agree (or disagree..). Havoc will send them to
foundation-list too so everyone has a chance to see them and 
comment. We hope to adopt them (or to say why not) at the next 
meeting. This is in two weeks' time so comments should come 
before then.


[Date Prev][Date Next]   [Thread Prev][Thread Next]   [Thread Index] [Date Index] [Author Index]