Re: Time to sweat the details (was Re: Minutes of the GNOME Board....)

    The fundamental point is that if we, as developers, don't sweat the details
    and get the out of the box (in our case, CVS or tarballs) correct, the
    probability that one or more distro vendors get it badly wrong in an attempt
    to "fix" it, goes way up.

This is a good reason, but there are others too.  We should aim to
produce a desktop that can be dropped right into a free operating
system and provide a capability that users find easy and natural to
use.