Advisory Board Members & the Linux Accessibility Conference

Dear foundation-list gnome org,
     I am organizing the Linux Accessibility
Conference, which features a GNOME workgroup led by
Sun's GNOME Accessibility Lab.  I am looking for
representatives from corporations on the GNOME
Advisory Board (e.g., HP, IBM, Compaq).  The
conference is on March 22-23 at LAX (a full
announcement is attached).  The first day consists of
technical workgroups ("What do we need to do to make
Linux accessible?"); the second day consists of
discussions about our overall vision, logistics,
funding, and organization ("How are we going to make
it happen?").  Please contact me via e-mail or
telephone if you, someone you know, or your employer
would be interested.  Thank you very much.

Best,

--JP Schnapper-Casteras
Organizer of the Linux Accessibility Conference
Founder and Co-Admin of Project Ocularis

=====
Cell Phone  -  206-849-9032
Time Zone   -  Pacific (-08:00 UTC)
Home Page   -  http://ocularis.sourceforge.net

Title: Summary:

March 22-23, 2001
Los Angeles Airport
Hilton Hotel, Plaza D
  • Taking place at CSUN's Sixteenth Annual International Conference, which averages 4000 attendees.
  • Free admission to the Linux Accessibility Conference (not including the price of attending to CSUN, consult http://www.csun.edu/cod/conf2001/index.html for admission costs).
Join us for two days of:
  • Speeches by prominent figures in the free software and accessibility community. Individuals who have tentatively agreed to speak include Judy Brewer (Director of WAI), Alan Black (Creator of Festival Speech Synthesizer), Peter Korn (Sun Microsystems' GNOME Accessibility Lab), and Aaron Leventhal (Mozilla accessibility). Other noteworthy people who have said they plan to attend include T.V. Raman (Creator of Emacspeak).
  • Demonstrations of free software such as Emacspeak, Festival, BRLTTY, and Speechd.
  • Workgroups on GNOME (run by Sun Microsystems' GNOME Accessibility Lab), KDE, X Windows, Console, Braille, Speech, Internationalization and Localization (i18n and l10n), Internet Applications (Mozilla), and a Universal Accessibility Standard.
  • Planning and organizing for the future of Linux accessibility.

The Linux Accessibility Conference stems from Project Ocularis, a volunteer-run effort to make Linux and the free software world accessible to all. Visit Project Ocularis at http://ocularis.sourceforge.net.

Mission:
The mission of the conference is twofold:
1) To demonstrate the potential of Linux and free software in the accessibility arena.

2) To formulate a course of action for advancing Linux accessibility and to begin to organize interested supporters and developers into working groups focusing on specific topics.

These topics include:

  • GNOME
  • KDE
  • X Windows
  • Console
  • Braille
  • Speech
  • Internationalization and Localization (i18n and l10n)
  • Internet Applications (Mozilla)
  • Universal Accessibility Standard.

Who Should Attend:

  • Companies or developers who want to make their applications more accessible under Linux.
  • Companies or developers in the AT industry who are interested in better serving impaired users through creating and using free software.
  • Anyone who is interested in making Linux and the free software world more accessible to all.

Tentative Schedule:
Thursday, March 22nd:

  • Speakers
  • Presentations
  • Demos
  • Transition (technical overview and introduction to the distinct role of each working group)
  • Break up into working groups
Friday, March, 23th:
  • Reconvene the next morning for another speaker
  • Hear reports from each of the working groups
  • Long-term planning
Travel and Accommodations:
See http://www.csun.edu/cod/conf2001/index.html for information about accommodations and travel.

Remote Attendance: