Minutes of the GNOME Foundation Board meeting 20 February 2001
- From: Owen Taylor <otaylor redhat com>
- To: foundation-announce gnome org
- Cc: foundation-list gnome org
- Subject: Minutes of the GNOME Foundation Board meeting 20 February 2001
- Date: 21 Feb 2001 22:18:44 -0500
Minutes of GNOME Foundation Board meeting - 20 February 2001
Present: Miguel de Icaza, Federico Mena, John Heard, Havoc Pennington,
Owen Taylor, Maciej Stachowiak, Bart Decrem, Dan Mueth
Regrets: Daniel Viellard, Jim Gettys
Absent: Raph Levien
Minutes: Owen [ Substituting for Daniel, and probably
not up to usual quality. ]
New Action Items
- Miguel to send summary of Ximian gnome-libs meeting
- Owen and Havoc to write down details for GNOME-2.0
preview packages to go along with GNOME-1.4.
One of them to join next gnome-1.4 release meeting.
- Dan and Bart to work with Martin in making sure that
companies have a clear idea what sponsorship involves.
- Havoc to resend formal request for attendence at Guadec
to the advisory board members.
* Miguel reported on meeting that happened at Ximian
between Lauris, Miguel, Michael Meeks, Jacob, Federico
about there opinions
Will send detailed minutes to gnome-hackers - rough
points covered were:
- Identify new stuff in gnome-libs that should be
backed out. (E.g., gnome-stock fixes)
(Jacob was going to investigate whether it make sense
to go back to the stable branch of gnome-libs and
port all post-1.4 gnome-libs changes to that individually.)
- Figure out what needs to be added to gnome libs directly
or as dependency
- Split gnome-libs into non-UI and UI parts?
- What to do with Canvas? (Lauris wants different API
to be fundamental)
- Possibility of having separately maintained libraries
merged together into one so.
* Havoc summarized the GNOME-2.0 thread:
- Everybody seemed OK with a July API freeze
- No real objections to December release target
- The developer-release/user-release dichotomy which
was brought up in the thread didn't turn out to be a problem
* Bart suggested that Havoc might want to do a summary
of GNOME-2.0 discussions.
* Federico suggested we need a porting document
* Federico brought up the issue of needing to get apps
ported early to GTK+-2.0 / GNOME-2.0 test API. Owen
mentioned that porting to GTK+-2.0 is really easy
unless you want to take advantage of new features.
* Maciej thought we needed a detailed feature list /
Roadmap for GNOME-2.0:
Possibilities for ways of creating such a document
a) Use bugzilla.
b) Collection of text documents (see perl/python
c) Someone keeps track of mailing list traffic.
Havoc suggested having bugzilla bugs pointing to
more extensive documents.
Incorporation Update (Bart)
* A rough schedule was sent to board-list; the job
could be done in a few weeks.
* Main issue now is what type of entity the foundation
- California incorporated vs. Deleware incorporated
- Mutual benefit (no non-profit status, less legal details)
vs. Public benefit.
John had a couple of questions about GUADEC:
* Do we have a formal statement of what sponsorship involves?
Apparently some confusion at Sun about this. (Sentiment
echoed from some other people.)
Dan and Bart will check up with Martin to make sure that
we're making this information available.
* Do we have confirmations from advisory board members
that they will be there?
Apparently we have a few confirmations, but haven't heard
back from a lot of people. Havoc will resend out mail
to the advisory baord members he hasn't heard back from.
][Date Next] [Thread Prev