Component Licensing [was Re: Questions]
- From: linas linas org (Linas Vepstas)
- To: George <jirka 5z com>
- Cc: Linas Vepstas <linas linas org>, Alan Cox <alan lxorguk ukuu org uk>, Sander Vesik <Sander Vesik sun com>, Daniel Veillard <veillard redhat com>, foundation-list gnome org
- Subject: Component Licensing [was Re: Questions]
- Date: Sat, 8 Dec 2001 11:46:22 -0600
On Thu, Dec 06, 2001 at 04:43:06PM -0800, George was heard to remark:
> I think with the above rationalle for licensing I suppose then that we would
> need to require only in-proc platform components to be LGPLed, and require
> the out-of-proc platform components just any free software license.
> This raises an issue. Are 'panel applets' considered part of the 'platform'
> and if so should in-proc ones be LGPLed. I don't think this makes all that
> much sense since they're mostly to use in the panel and they're not a library
> or anything. But they are components.
As you say, maybe this is a non-issue. I beleive they are all currently
GPL'ed. Making them LGPL'ed would make it easier for somebody to create
a propprietary/unusual-license panel application. And that seems rather
pub 1024D/01045933 2001-02-01 Linas Vepstas (Labas!) <linas linas org>
PGP Key fingerprint = 8305 2521 6000 0B5E 8984 3F54 64A9 9A82 0104 5933
] [Thread Prev