Re: RFP policy

On Tue, Aug 21, 2001 at 09:45:26AM -0500, Linas Vepstas wrote:

> You (we?)  need to cultivate a class of spec writers that will
> e.g. add specs for SSL support in ghttp, and maybe document/extend
> what ever the hell is in glib.  The spec writers/documentors are not
> yet a part of gnome; maybe they don't perceive the reward for thier
> efforts.

I think that the prevaling culture that "he who writes the code, makes
the rules" has precluded the participation of this spec-writer and
API-designer class of hacker.  The Gnome project has done an excellent
job of encouraging the participation of documentation authors and
graphic artists.  Getting some hard-core design types involved would
similarly help to further broaden the types of people who are able to
participate.

-- John Kodis.