Re: RFP policy

two comments:
1) scheme uses something like this: "srfi" -- "scheme request for
   implementation".  I've seen it in action: it seems to be 'great'
   in that the coder can get real, real busy coding, without getting
   trapped by the philosophical issues surrounding the design of the
   api.  In a sense, you can go into 'pure code mode' and turn off
   your brain, or at least the part of the brain that hurts when one
   has to design from scratch.

2) the rfp idea works great when you have *two* classes of people
   involved in a project: experienced senior designers, and hot-shot
   super-coders.  The designers are usually older, have seen the world,
   know how things should work, and are maybe burned-out on coding,
   or maybe can envision more than they can code in a lifetime.  They
   love to write specs and argue the philosophy of API's.  And then
   you need the young hot-shot coders who want nothing more than
   being in the coding-groove, and can implement a thousand-page spec
   in about a day.

   I think gnome has lots of the latter, and few of the former.
   Which is why the RFC question is getting ignored.   You (we?)
   need to cultivate a class of spec writers that will e.g. add
   specs for SSL support in ghttp, and maybe document/extend what
   ever the hell is in glib.  The spec writers/documentors are not
   yet a part of gnome; maybe they don't perceive the reward for
   thier efforts.

--linas

On Tue, Aug 21, 2001 at 01:46:37PM +0800, James Henstridge was heard to remark: