Re: changed charter, new elections proposal

Jon Trowbridge <trow emccta com> writes:

> On Thu, Sep 28, 2000 at 04:40:21PM -0700, Bart Decrem wrote:
> > - I propose that candidates nominate themselves by sending email to a
> > list to be created by Havoc with a few sentences about their involvement
> > with GNOME and what they would add to the board.  There'd be a two-week
> > period for people to nominate themselves, and then we'd publish a list
> > of candidates (see timeline).
> > - I propose that everyone be allowed to vote for up to 11 candidates.
> > So everyone gets to elect their dream-team.
>
> Just to annoy everyone, here is another idea for how to run the
> elections.
>
> Dan Mueth and I were kicking the "to slate or not to slate" issue
> around over a few beers this afternoon, and he came up with what I
> thought was an optimal (though not ideal) solution to the problem: to
> elect N candidates, have M rounds of voting (where M < N), and build
> the board out of the top vote-getters in each election.  This gives
> people the ability to try to build a board with some sort of
> diversity.
>
> One possible scenario: To fill 10 board seats, hold 3 elections.  In
> the first, the top four vote-getters are put on the board.  In the
> second and third, the top three candidates are seated.  (Other
> permutations are possible of course...)

I just discussed this idea with Havoc. He pointed out (and I agree)
that it's likely we're already going to have a hard time with voter
turnout, and more elections will probably make this problem worse. He
also pointed out that it increases the load on whoever volunteers to
run the election.

 - Maciej