Re: GNOME Foundation elections!

Havoc Pennington <hp redhat com> writes:

> I don't remember if the charter specified secret ballots or not; if
> they are secret, our life is more complicated. If public I propose
> that we vote by simply sending mail to an archived mailing list on
> gnome.org. If secret, things are really a lot more complicated. I
> remember this being discussed, but not sure we came to a conclusion.

If the election is done via a mailing list on gnome.org will there
have to be an election body that determines validity of voters and
resolves any disputes about the election?  The only issues that I see
with this is making sure that the email received is from the real
person, and technical issues, say gnome.org crashes during the middle
of the voting period and people don't know if their vote got recorded
or not.  The election oversight group can provide direction during
these events.  Also we are assuming gnome.org is a trustable host,
which I believe that it is but people who are paranoid might not.

Rusty
--
Rusty Conover
Systems Programmer