Re: What is GNOME office?

On 20 Nov 2000 16:30:47 -0800,  wrote:
> From: Mathieu Lacage <mathieu eazel com>
> > I believe that Sun can drop their current licencing policy.
>
> Sun called me to discuss this policy before the OpenOffice announcement.
> I suggested that when they accept a copyright they should make a covenant
> with the contributor that Sun or its assigns would continue to make new
> versions of the software available under the present licenses (GPL or
> LGPL and SCSSL) as long as Sun or its assigns are actively developing
> the software.
>
> I can push a bit harder on this with their executive V.P. for software.
> Would that change improve the situation from your standpoint? Sun is
> motivated to make this partnership work.
>
> FSF asks for copyright assignment too, you know. They want to be able to
> change the GPL if a court strikes part of the old GPL down, they want to
> be able to bring copyright infringement suits on their own, etc.

There are however mitigating factors here:
1) The fact that formalized free software was originated by the FSF
2) Trust developed by years of good deeds
3) Lack of profit motivation since they are a non-profit (granted you
could argue the directors could try and make a cash grab but that would
seem illegal under US law and against the charter)

No for profit corporation can ever claim all of these.

-JP
JP Rosevear                             jpr helixcode com
Helix Code Inc.                         http://www.helixcode.com