Re: What is GNOME office?

bruce perens com (Bruce Perens) writes:

> On Thu, 16 Nov 2000, Alan Cox wrote:
> > And a non pure GPL code which requires you give sun right to misuse
> > your contributions is not going to get contribution from many hackers.
>
> This is an inaccurate depiction of the status of Open Office licensing.
>
> Sun would _like_ you to assign them copyrights, but they have no way to
> compel you to do so. You are entirely free to use the GPL and LGPL that

I think Alan knowns this. He is simply not considering forking an option.
Neither do I.

Forking has never been a very constructive way to write Free Software.
Instead of saying: you can workaround the shit, we should be trying to fix
the real problem.

HelixCode renounced hopefully to their dual-licencing/copyright assignment
plans, something for which I am most happy. Sun could do the same.
I know Sun is not HelixCode but if you do not even ask and raise the topic,
you will never solve the problem. I hope that my yelling will make Sun aware
that their current licencing scheme is not right.

Even if you do not agree with RMS, he has shown at least that if you really
believe in something, you can make it happen. I believe that Sun can
drop their current licencing policy. Perhaps it would be time for one of
their managers to try to explain us why it is impossible for sun to do so.
I would be more than happy to try to discuss this with them. And yes, I am
kind of stubborn...

Mathieu, who dreams of naked women wrapped in GPL paper sheet ;-)
--
Mathieu Lacage <mathieu eazel com>