Re: polarization

> Thanks. I think it would be a shame if Jim wasn't elected, too.  As for
> me, I appreciate the praise. The problem, it appears, is that I've
> done too much of the "dirty work" of getting us where we are today. Like
> making a point that the old Qt license was _not_ appropriate, objecting to
> licenses from 4 different corporations that weren't fair to the community,
> and going after some GPL violators. It was important that it be done,
> but I guess most people don't invite the guy who does their dirty work
> to dinner.

The main reason to put it bluntly is you're a controversial
figure.  People are warped by whatever actions you may have done or they
thought you may have done.  I dont have any kind of pre-conceived notion
what you're like, personally.  I think you would make a fine candidate for
a number of reasons:

o Ability to think outside GNOME.  Like Jim Gettys, I think you will
  bring maturity and rational thinking to any forum including this one.
  I think that is highly valuable valuable skills.  Especially when most
  of the board is under 25. ;)

o You understand the business of Free Software and how it affects the
  world around you.  World view is important in a group thats looking at
  the future direction.

o You're a hacker in your own right.

o You have excellent language skills. (I can't speak for verbal, some
  people can emote wonderfully but can't speak right) :-)

The negative thing I have against you is the fact that you have not been
involved in GNOME on any kind of regular basis.  The candidates that
people have mentioned have put a lot of their waking hours into the GNOME
project.  They believe very strongly in GNOME.  I hope you do too.

Those are some of the points off the top of my head.  I think the fact
that you can go and do the "dirty work" means that you will help protect
GNOME from companies who which to leverage the code base for their
own ends.  I think few of the candidates here can claim that.

	Thanks,
	sri

ps Lets not bring out any dirty laundry here regarding anything Bruce has
   done.  I prefer to simply discuss his qualifications.