Re: GNOME Foundation and FSF/GNU

La plume légère, à Fri, Jul 28, 2000 at 02:55:18PM -0700, heure d'inpiration,
Bart Decrem écrivait en ces mots:
> Andy,
>
> I think Nat was going to propose that we add a line to the charter of the
> GNOME Foundation saying that GNOME is part of the GNU project.
>
> But the Gnome foundation would be totally independent from the FSF and the
> FSF would have no control over GNOME.  I don't think that's that different from
> Helix Code or Eazel developing software that may be part of the GNU project.
>
> Bart

I think there is a lot of paranoïa over the "dictatorship imposed by
RMS and the FSF". Whether that paranoïa is justified or not, it
does not mean that one should be affected by that "dictatorship".
(unless you want to show that this "dictatorship" has an actual
influence on you...)

There are several points on which RMS and the FSF are categorical, but
from my experience the dialog is always open with whom has strong
arguments. In a real dictatorship you don't even have that
opportunity...

For what the eventual inflence the FSF could have on GNOME, I think
actually that there would be none. As far as I know, the different GNU
projects have to comply with a few coding rules and a few
interoperability things (all mentionned in the GNU Coding Standards)
but the developer is still free to choose to which level he is willing
to comply with it.

Wolfgang