Re: release issues

On Fri, Jul 14, 2000 at 05:17:32PM -0500, kelly@poverty.bloomington.in.us wrote:
> >Yes it is their job, but they don't actually have "the power" in
> >reality.  Even if you put it in the bylaws, they do not have the
> >power in practice.  The written powers of the foundation should
> >reflect reality.
>
> What, exactly, then, is the point in having the Foundation at all?

To handle corporate relations/cooperation, to handle funds and be an official
spokesperson for the project.  Nobody is doing that now and that limits where
the project can go.

In addition it should serve as the technical lead using the power that the
steering committee has now.  It is to serve as a forum to make those boring
decisions and to build consensus.  It's easier to figure these things out for
a board then for it to just crystalize on gnome-hackers.  And this is the
reason for the steering committee.

George

--
George <jirka@5z.com>
   I either want less corruption, or more chance to participate in it.