Re: What is GNOME?

Alan Cox <alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk> writes:
> > > We also want to preffer GPL/LGPL alternatives over packages licensed
> > > under other licenses (even if they are free) just because it makes our
> > > life easier when it comes to sharing and cut and pasting code.
> >
> > GPL-comaptible packages are nicer but I don't think we should make
> > this an absolute requirement.
>
> Steal from vendors and Debian. Have a non-free area in contrib

I don't like that; we aren't an operating system. We're a software
project. If we aren't working on some software, then we shouldn't
distribute it.

non-free for Debian makes sense since people want to get all their
software in one place, but GNOME is already a subset of all software.
Debian will provide the non-free stuff to people, we don't need to.

But anyway, until some non-free software appears that wants to be part
of GNOME, we can ignore the issue.

Havoc