Re: Membership

Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@eazel.com> writes:

> Martin Baulig <martin@home-of-linux.org> writes:
>
> > Havoc Pennington <hp@redhat.com> writes:
> >
> > How about:
> >
> > * People who're working in their spare time are automatically becoming
> >   members after some time
>
> What counts as "working"? Like, if you email a lot and send one patch?
> I don't think time alone demonstrates commitment.

Good point.

> > * The steering commitee approves companies - and once some company, for
> >   instance Eazel, has been approved all their employers who're working
> >   on GNOME can become members.
>
> That sounds like an awful idea to me, and I say this as someone who
> works for a GNOME company that would probably be approved by this
> standard.
>
> I think people should earn membership, whether or not they are
> volunteers.

Well, what I wanted to avoid is to prevent that person Foo Bar who's
working for Evil Dot Com which forces Foo Bar to abuse his membership
to suit Evil Dot Com's interest to become a member.

The problem is that if we only honor the amount of contribution
companies can very easily become voting ability by hiring someone for
some time.

--
Martin Baulig
martin@gnome.org (private)