Re: Membership

Martin Baulig <martin@home-of-linux.org> writes:

> Havoc Pennington <hp@redhat.com> writes:
>
> How about:
>
> * People who're working in their spare time are automatically becoming
>   members after some time

What counts as "working"? Like, if you email a lot and send one patch?
I don't think time alone demonstrates commitment.

> * The steering commitee approves companies - and once some company, for
>   instance Eazel, has been approved all their employers who're working
>   on GNOME can become members.

That sounds like an awful idea to me, and I say this as someone who
works for a GNOME company that would probably be approved by this
standard.

I think people should earn membership, whether or not they are
volunteers.

 - Maciej