Re: steering committee vs foundation

Hi Owen,

I understand your concerns.  So I think we have now identified two different
ways to set this up:

1.  One central Gnome foundation with a board of directors elected by the
Gnome hackers and an industry advisory council.  The Foundation would be
incorporated in the US but have an international board of directors.  Both the
technical functions and the marketing functions would be handled through this
entity, although there would presumably be different committees handling the
different functions.  Copyrights would be assigned to the Gnome Foundation.
There could still be regional foundations as well that are affiliated.
- Advantages: fewer bodies = less bureaucracy, less chance for conflict, less
cycles wasted communicating back & forth.  No corporate control.
- Disadvantages: people in Europe may object.

A more detailed description is in your previous email.

2.  A Gnome Steering Committee that has no legal existence and a Gnome
Foundation in the US with a board that includes hackers and corporate reps.
- Advantages: separates technical and marketing functions; resolves the
geography problem
- Disadvantages: the Gnome foundation risks being dominated by corporate
interests.  Would people want to assign copyrights to it?; two different
entities = more bureaucracy.

A more detailed description is in my previous email.

So let's see which of these two alternative sounds the most appealing to the
Gnome community and our corporate partners, and then hopefully we'll get
closer to consensus over the next day or two.

Bart