Re: Planning releases

Havoc,

I think your latest set of proposals goes too far in weakening the power of the
board.  I believe that

1) the board or a releases committee should have as one of its roles release
coordination.  and of course in order to do an effective job at that, it will have
to work closely with all the hackers
2) 'recall elections' or other formal processes to undo board action or replace a
board (member) should be exceedingly rare (kind of like the right to fork).  So I
think the only type of member recourse should be to fire the board, as opposed to
give veto power over any specific decision.  Frankly, if members don't agree with
a decision or a release schedule, it won't get implemented anyway.
3) I do think the board should make decisions most of the time, as opposed to
issuing recommendations.

I think it's important that we not shy away from making decisions.  There needs to
be a group of people who are actually empowered to make decisions, and then those
folks should be accountable to the larger community.

As a practical matter, there'll be lots of consensus building, especially since
the power of the board as proposed is already extremely limited (it sets release
schedules and decides which modules are part of Gnome) - but I don't think we
should weaken those specific powers by softening the language of the board's
charter.

Bart