Re: Planning releases

On Fri, Jul 07, 2000 at 03:46:18PM -0400, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> I don't know if the board would decide release plans. This is almost
> certainly _the_ big decision that GNOME ever has to make; historically
> it's a big gnome-hackers flamewar, and it's a point of much contention
> in the steering committee too.

Even if the board has power to make this decision, it first needs a
consensus by the maintainers of the different packages.  The release plans
are really in the hands of the maintainers.

However perhaps having such a power is good.  Then the board has to either
derive it's decision from the maintainers, OR the board has to convince the
maintainers that it's decision is ok.  Even if it has power to make arbitrary
decisions about release dates, it has no way to truly enforce and implement
such arbitrary release dates.  But making this official board decision will
ensure that all major parties are well aware of the release plans (something
which was not exactly happening in the past).  So it's still consensus
driven, and most likely the decision process will be the same with the
difference that in the end the board "approves" the release plans.

George

--
George <jirka@5z.com>
   Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.