Re: when companies join over free software projects

Bart Decrem <bart@eazel.com> writes:

> I think the bigger issue facing GNOME is that we need to make sure that
> we maintain a critical mass of GNOME contributors who are NOT affiliated
> with any company and that we don't concentrate too much power in the two
> 'pure-play' GNOME companies.  One of the things I feel good about is that
> Eazel has gone out and recruited people who were not already
> GNOME-hackers to join the company, thus increasing the total talent-pool
> working to make GNOME better.

Keeping volunteers involved is very important. But it's also the case
that GNOME moves so fast now that it is hard for a part-timer to keep
up. The "Projects of the Week" that Havoc used to post in the GNOME
Summary were somewhat helpful in that regard - they provided projects
that were relatively self-contained and an easy way to start getting
involved.

 - Maciej