Re: advisory board & announcement update

On Tue, 08 Aug 2000 15:21:20 -0700, Bart Decrem <bart@eazel.com> said:

>To avoid disputes. You're in a club and you're getting kicked out -
>so we give you a refund for the time you're not going to be part of
>the club.

>From a legal standpoint, this is a bad idea.  It suggests that
membership has some tangible value.  My understanding is that
membership is intended to be a way to show support financially, and
not intended to provide any substantial tangible benefit to the
member.  By giving refunds, you create a reliance interest and make it
sound like you're selling a service instead of running a voluntary
organization.

Down this road lies lawsuits.  My advice is, don't travel it.

Kelly