Re: Money is a Time Bomb for GNOME

Andy Tai <atai@ece.ucsd.edu> writes:

> It seems there is no clearly defined purpose for the money proposed to be raised
> If RMS had let GNOME hackers  have the control over that $25K within
> the framework of the FSF, there would be no discussion for
> a separate GNOME Foundation.

Managing that $25k is not the only reason we need or want a foundation.

> When companies pay money, they must expect something in return.
> When the companies' influence collide with the hackers,
> there lay the seeds for division and split. (RedHat, Helix Code, Eazel excepted)

Why should those be excepted? Since they pay the salaries of most of
the top GNOME hackers, they have _much_ more control than anyone could
by paying money to the advisory board.

I think we just need to trust the board of the foundation not to be
corrupted in this way; since so many people have spoken out against
even accepting the money, I don't think this will be a big problem.

 - Maciej