GNOME proposal for your review

Hello all:

I tried to send this yesterday afternoon, but I messed up this
address.  Apologies.

Following and attached is our proposal for the announcement for your
review.  We have already incorporated feedback from Russ Castronovo at Sun.

Please review this document and provide your feedback for
incorporation.  In particular, it would be helpful if we could agree on key
messages, so that the press release reflects the messages that everyone has
agreed to.  We've provided a starting point for the messages.

Also, we'd love to get started on building the master invite list.  If the
PR folks on this list could email us the press/analyst
names/organizations/email addresses/phone numbers, that would be most
helpful.  We have the LinuxWorld press list and will include those
folks.  We are happy to distribute this master grid so that everyone can
see at any time who is being targeted for invitation to this event.

We look forward to receiving your comments by Friday July 21, close of
business, so that we can revise the plan for discussion on Monday's call.

We are very excited about the opportunity to work with all of you.

Best regards,
Barb Heffner

Gnome Foundation Proposal
July 19, 2000

LinuxWorld Conference & Expo
San Jose Convention Center
San Jose
August 14-17, 2000

OBJECTIVES
·	Advance the free software/open source agenda as a central force in computing.
·	Introduce The GNOME Foundation as the non-profit organization for
advancing GNOME as the world’s leading free and easy-to-use desktop
environment for the user.
·	Demonstrate momentum/credibility for this foundation with announcements
of support by leading vendors.
·	Establish key executives from The GNOME Foundation and the vendor
organizations as resources to reporters/analysts.

STRATEGY
To reinforce GNOME’s position as a leader in the open source movement,
positioning GNOME as a unifying industry force across multiple vendors.

KEY MESSAGES
·	The GNOME Foundation has been formed to formalize a group of individuals,
from varying organizations and companies, who will be responsible for
advancing GNOME.
·	The GNOME desktop is the world’s leading free and easy-to-use desktop
enviroment for the user; GNOME has been designed to run on all modern
strains of Unix-like operating systems.
·	The support of leading vendors, including Sun Microsystems, Eazel,
Collab.Net, Helix Code, Red Hat, [others to come] demonstrates that the
industry is coalescing behind GNOME as the desktop environment of the future.

ANNOUNCEMENT VEHICLE
In light of the number of speakers involved, the proposed vehicle for the
announcement is a press conference on August 15th at LinuxWorld.

The press release should cross the wire that morning.  The more vendors
involved and the bigger the names, the better the attendance.  The novelty
of competing vendors (e.g. Sun, IBM, HP) aligning to support The Foundation
will enhance the draw.  If major vendors do not commit, the interest level
will drop accordingly.

We are in the process of determining what has been done already in terms of
booking a conference facility for the event, either at the Convention
Center or at the Fairmont.  We also need to determine, from show
management, what events may be competing with this one.

Notable Aug. 15 events from the web site include:
Keynote, 10-11 a.m., Michael Dell
Immediately following, IDG/Torvalds Community Award Presentation
2:30-3:30 p.m. - Linux Geek Bowl, with many Linux gurus
5:30-6:30 p.m. - Exec. Roundtable with CEO of 6 Linux firms

We should plan for a session that lasts no more than an hour.  This would
include approximately 45 minutes of presentations with a 15 minute Q&A.

Miguel de Icaza has been identified as the initial speaker.  Miguel will
kick off the presentations and briefly describe the news being announced -
the formation of the foundation and why it’s important.  When we have
determined precisely how many speakers we’ll have, we can prepare a time
budget for each speaker.  However, with multiple speakers, we can assume
that their remarks should last just 5-10 minutes, as we’ll want to allow
plenty of time for Q&A.

We’ll set up the room with a talk show format, using a podium with a series
of chairs for other speakers.

Press Kit and Related Deliverables
·	Agenda for event (CHEN)
·	Press release announcing formation of Foundation (Eazel to own; but each
vendor liaison will be responsible for content/legal approvals at their
respective firms)
·	Media advisory week before show to drive press/analyst attendance (CHEN
who/what/when/where format - summarize from press release)
·	Supporting vendor press releases (prepared and supplied by each vendor)
·	List of vendors involved with relevant URLs, contact information (CHEN to
coordinate)
·	One page backgrounder on GNOME (to be determined)
·	Q&A for internal use only (to be determined)
·	Presentations - If speakers elect to use slides, they are responsible for
developing their own slide presentations.  We’ll have standard AV equipment
there, but assume we’ll keep it simple and that presentations will be run
off laptops.
·	Screenshots/photos - any graphics, in case requested.

Spokespeople
[Please provide names and titles.]

·	Miguel de Icaza, founder of Helix Code
·	Name, Collab.Net
·	Name, Eazel
·	Name, Red Hat
·	Name, Sun Microsystems
·	Name, IBM
·	Name, H-P
·	[others]

PRESS/ANALYST INVITES
CHEN will serve as the central point for inviting reporters and
analysts.  We’ll ask for all parties to submit their press/analyst invite
lists so that we can consolidate the lists.

We may also want to consider briefing 3-5 analysts in advance of the event.

In summary, CHEN will:
Develop email invitation
Consolidate press/analyst list
Send emails and follow-up emails/follow-up calls
Send advisory
Provide regular status updates on event attendance
Confirm with all attendees week before show

TIMELINE

**Week of June 17
Conducted kick off conference call
CHEN submits proposal to Sun for OK
CHEN submits proposal to announcement team
CHEN fine tunes proposal based on feedback/contributions
CHEN determines status of conference event location
CHEN checks with show management on other scheduled events
CHEN requests press list from show management
CHEN requests invite lists from all parties to build consolidated list for
invites (will share this list with all parties)
Gnome team finalizes corporate participants

**Week of June 24
Next conference call slated for July 24, 1 p.m PT - Discuss open issues
Eazel prepares draft press release; other vendors provide input
CHEN builds consolidated press/analyst invite list, monitoring for updates
to show registration list
CHEN starts to email/call/register reporters
CHEN coordinates with hotel or convention center on AV, food, logistics
CHEN drafts list of participating companies and contacts

**Week of July 31
CHEN continues to pursue/register reporters
Eazel revises press release
CHEN develops media advisory/submits for review/finalizes
CHEN schedules one-on-ones, if desired
CHEN sets up advance briefings with small group of analyts, if desired

**Week of August 7
CHEN continues to pursue/register reportersEazel finalizes press release
early in week
CHEN issues media advisory on Aug. 7
Conference call rehearsal with all spokespersons on August 9

**Week of August 14
Rehearsal Monday evening
Speakers can revised as needed
Make any final press calls to confirm attendance
Attend/monitor event

OPEN ISSUES
·	One-on-ones - On our next call, we should discuss whether we’d like to
offer a short list of reporters one-on-one time after the main event.
·	We need to project number of attendees.
·	We need to discuss the agenda.
·	Webcast of event?
·	Ownership of Q&A?
·	Prebrief select group of analysts?
·	If Sun/HP/IBM are all involved, pitch to one daily in advance?  Status of
their involvement?

# # #

Gnome Project Prop July 19.doc

CHEN PR, Inc.