Re: [fdn-ann] draft 1 of the second press release

Bart Decrem <bart@eazel.com> writes:

> GNOME community, industry leaders join to deliver next
>  generation user environment
>

> LinuxWorld Expo, San Jose, CA -- August 15, 2000 -- The GNOME Steering
> Committee today announced plans to integrate several key applications
> into the GNOME desktop. Together with the support of industry leaders
> announced today, these developments represent the momentum behind and
> progress towards a leading-edge, free user environment for traditional
> desktops and workstations, as well as an emerging class of Internet
> access devices.
>
> Technologies to be incorporated into GNOME include the OpenOffice
> productivity suite, AOL/Netscape's Mozilla browser, Helix Code's
> Evolution software, Eazel's Nautilus software and Gnumatic's personal
> finance application. In addition, these companies have committed
> technology and resources to improve the GNOME environment.

Now there's a clever wording. Steering committee folks who were wary
of making too strong an announcement about OpenOffice, how do you feel
about this wording? Can we sell this to the comminity?

I'd also like to propose an even more weasely wording: "technologies
to be contributed to GNOME"; this in line with my suggestion that we
talk about the companies' commitments, not GNOME's commitments.

Finally, I suggest we strike Mozilla from this list unless AOL
participates in some meaningful way.

> "GNOME is receiving a tremendous boost in terms of support, backing and
> commitment for contribution and improvements.  GNOME is now well poised
> to be the next generation user environment, uniting the existing Linux
> and Unix communities as well as the emerging class of internet devices,"
> said Miguel De Icaza, founder of the GNOME project.  "We are building an
> alternative environment based on open source technology and open
> principles.  By leveraging other open technologies we're able to
> maintain our focus of making the most attractive development environment
> with the largest potential volume."
>
> Making GNOME Better
>
> As part of the industry support, the following companies have made
> commitments to improve the GNOME environment.  These commitments
> include:
>
> RedHat will provide an object-oriented application framework, CORBA
> support for  distributed software, lay-out and rendering of
> internationalized text and configuration management technology.
> Helix Code will provide integrated mail, calendar, and address
> management and its component based architecture.
> Eazel will provide a network-based file management system.
                       ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This is a very awkward way to describe Nautilus. How about "internet
enabled next-generation graphical shell" (enough buzzwords there?)

> Sun Microsystems provide printing, internationalization, accessibility
> technology in addition to expertise in improving reliability and
> quality.
>
> GNOME For New Markets
>
> "Its clear the emerging market for online devices will be based on
> Linux," De Icaza added  "GNOME is building a technology suite that meets
> the flexibility and open demands of device manufacturers that is based
                      ^^^^
> on a technology that will scale from toasters to teraflops."

"openness"

> More data/information needed.

How about putting in a few quotes from the companies?

> In a related announcement, the GNOME project today announced the
> creation of the GNOME Foundation and an associated Advisory Body.
> Founding members of the Advisory Board include Compaq, Debian, Eazel,
> the Free Software Foundation, Gnumatic, Helix Code, Henzai, IBM, Red
> Hat, Sun Microsystems and VA Linux.
>
> About GNOME
> The GNOME project has built a complete free and easy-to-use desktop
> environment for the user, as well as a powerful application framework
> for the software developer.
>
> GNOME is part of the GNU project, and is free software (often referred
> as open source software).  GNOME is included in almost every BSD and
> Linux distribution and works on many other Unix systems.
>
> Although a number of private and public companies are contributing to
> the development of GNOME, GNOME is not controlled by any company.  It is
> a volunteer-driven effort with hundreds of volunteer developers from all
> over the world.  Their efforts are coordinated by the Gnome Foundation.
> Information about GNOME is available at http://www.gnome.org.

Looks decent,

Maciej