GNOME board of directors candidacy - Philip Chimento

Name: Philip Chimento
Email: philip chimento at gmail com
Corporate affiliation: Igalia S.L.

I'd like to announce my candidacy for a third term on the GNOME Foundation board of directors.

I'm a long-time GNOME user and have been on the board of directors since 2018, helping to guide the board through a transition where the responsibilities moved away from implementation (individual board members doing the work) and more towards oversight. I would like to run again because I think it's important for there to be continuity on the board of directors and there are initiatives that I'd like to continue to be involved in.

One such initiative is to continue moving the board in the direction of organizational governance and oversight. For instance, in this past year I've joined the newly-created governance committee which is responsible for making sure the board of directors is functioning well; includes members with the diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and skill profiles that are good for the organization; digs deep enough; and provides the appropriate amount of oversight of the Foundation's leadership.

Although board members don't work directly on policy implementation, I do have personal interests and priorities that shape the way that I consider the GNOME Foundation's actions. When you decide whether to vote for me or not, you probably want to know these. My main interests, not in any particular order, are:

- Health, values, visibility, and transparency of the Foundation itself
- Health and values of the GNOME community
- Lowering the barriers for new contributors
- Ensuring GNOME preserves user freedom
- Ensuring GNOME stays competitive with the latest developments in proprietary desktops
- Reexamining what software freedom means in a post-FSF landscape

Thank you for your consideration. I will be happy to answer any follow up questions on Discourse.

Philip