Minutes of the board meeting of January 7, 2019

Wiki location: https://wiki.gnome.org/FoundationBoard/Minutes/20180107

= Foundation Board Minutes for Monday 7 January, 16:30 UTC =

== Attending ==

 * FedericoMenaQuintero
 * AllanDay
 * NeilMcGovern
 * PhilipChimento
 * NuritziSanchez
 * RobMcQueen
 * RosannaYuen
 * KatGerasimova

== Regrets ==

 * CarlosSoriano

== Agenda ==

 * Emails with trademark licensing questions (Philip)
 * Expectations for board around hiring (Allan)
 * FOSDEM advisory board meeting (Nuritzi)

== Minutes ==

 * Emails with trademark licensing questions
   * We received an email from Phil King about use of GTK trademark in a book.
     * Philip: Do we own that trademark as well as the GNOME foot?
     * Neil: I believe so, will check. I'll also check informally with the GTK team members before answering the email.
   * We received another email notifying about royalties from Gabor Kum EV for GNOME-branded merchandise.
     * Philip: Is there a way to publicize that trademark licensing questions should go to the staff instead of the board?
     * Neil: Trademark questions should indeed not go to the board; they should go directly to licensing gnome org, which is redirected to the staff list. It may be that people are using the wrong address.

 * Expectations for board around hiring
   * Allan: Are we expected to formally welcome new hires in a meet-the-board gathering, as part of their onboarding?
     * No. Better to informally meet them at, say, FOSDEM or other conferences.

 * FOSDEM advisory board meeting
   * Nuritzi: Is the board preparing any presentation for the advisory board meeting at FOSDEM?
     * Neil: Traditionally not, it's only a half day as opposed to a full day at GUADEC. I will prepare a presentation.
   * Neil: Those attending the advisory board meeting at FOSDEM, please fill in the Framadate poll so we can pick a time for the meeting.