GNOME events code of conduct: feedback wanted

Dear Foundation Members,

Over the past 14 months, a group of us have, at the direction of the Foundation Board of Directors, been working on a new standard code of conduct for GNOME events. The draft of that code of conduct is now ready, and we'd like to hear your feedback on it.

Background

Behaviour at GNOME events is usually very good. Speaking personally, it is one of the things that got me involved in the project in the first place. However, that doesn't mean that things don't sometimes go wrong. We need to be prepared for when that happens, and we need to try and prevent it from happening as much as possible.

Codes of conduct are also an important part of addressing the real issues of diversity and inclusion which exist not just in the GNOME project, but also in the wider Free Software world.

Finally, a code of conduct can be an effective mechanism for creating a better environment for everyone, by setting expectations for newcomers, by encouraging positive behaviour, and by creating a culture that cares about and seeks to improve its conduct.

The GNOME project has had codes of conduct for some conferences in the past, but these have typically changed  from event to event, and many of our events don't have a code of conduct. The code of conduct that is being proposed here aims to address both issues, by ensuring coverage and consistency.

The process so far

The process through which this code of conduct has been drawn up has been long and extensive. There has been a significant amount of research done, during which we have examined 18 different codes of conduct. We've also drawn on recommended guidelines and have been in contact with Sage Sharp, who is a professional consultant on these issues.

The working group includes members of the Foundation Board of Directors, our Executive Director, our Director of Operations, and former GUADEC organisers. We've extensively debated each and every aspect of the code, sometimes line-by-line, and have worked to produce something that tries to meet the specific needs of the GNOME project.