Minutes of the Board meeting of June 3, 2014

wiki: https://wiki.gnome.org/FoundationBoard/Minutes/20140603

= Minutes for Tuesday, June 3rd, 2014, 16:00 UTC =

== Next meeting ==
 * Tuesday, June 17th, 2014, 16:00 UTC

== Attending ==
 * Marina Zhurakhinskaya
 * Joanmarie Diggs
 * Ekaterina Gerasimova
 * Emmanuele Bassi
 * Rosanna Yuen
 * Sriram Ramkrishna

=== Regrets ===
 * Andreas Nilsson
 * Tobias Mueller

=== Missing ===

== Board Meeting Agenda ==

 * Monthly financial update
  * We have received various adboard and outreach payments
  * USD 361k in cash reserves
  * Just over half is earmarked
  * This allows to send out reimbursements for West Coast hackfest and
DX hackfest
  * Should be possible to increase the travel budget for GUADEC to EUR 30k

 * Reimbursements:
  * '''VOTE''': early reimbursement for GNOME.Asia for Sammy Fung:
$400: +1 Kat, Marina, Joanie, Sri, Emmanuele
  * West coast hackfest reimbursements
   * Need to get all the details and receipts for the attendees
  * Delegating back to the Travel Committee
   * Updated proposal from the Travel Committee to the board:
https://wiki.gnome.org/Travel/wip/Events
    * '''VOTE''': Approve the proposal from the Travel Committee: +1
Kat, Marina, Joanie, Emmanuele, Sri

 * Events
  * GUADEC 2014
   * '''VOTE''': Rosanna's flight (USD 1900): +1 Kat, Marina, Joanie, Emmanuele
    * Hotel, internet connection reimbursements are under operational
expenses for Rosanna
   * Board/adboard meeting dates
    * Proposal for board meeting on the 24th July (Thursday)
    * Proposal for adboard meeting on the 25th July (Friday)
    * Local organizers are okay with the dates
    * Need the dates to check with the candidates for the elections
    * '''ACTION''': Kat to contact the board candidates for the dates
for the board/adboard meetings at GUADEC
   * Contract with LiLo
    * Time sensitive
    * Needs final review from the board
    * '''ACTION''': All board directors to vote on the contract with
LiLo on board-list
   * Organisation
    * Papers
     * Emmanuele wants to thank Allan, Kat, David, and the other
members of the papers committee for picking up the task
    * Travel
     * Proposal to increase travel budget from €15000 to €30000
(standard travel budget)
     * '''VOTE''': Increase the budget for GUADEC travel to EUR 30k:
+1 Kat, Marina, Sri, Joanie, Emmanuele
     * No extra money from GSoC towards interns
      * No budget from Google this year
      * Google allocates a maximum of USD 5000 per organization per year
      * In 2013 we funded 21 GSoC interns, and ended up getting $10K
from Google, which took up our allowance for two years
  * Evince hackfest
   * Pre-GUADEC
   * USD 1767.96 requested by two interns from the GUADEC budget
   * A donation of $840 will be made to the Foundation to cover the
costs of this hackfest
   * '''VOTE''': USD 840 to sponsor Christian Persch, José Aliste and
Juanjo Marín: +1 Marina, Kat, Emmanuele, Sri, Joanie
  * GNOME.Asia
   * Reports
    * Good outreach for users, not just developers and then
encouraging them to apply for sponsorship to attend GUADEC
    * We need more outreach for getting non-coding contributors in
Asia into the Foundation
     * The proportion of foundation members attending GUADEC/GNOME
summits is higher than that attending GNOME.Asia
      * Even if the amount of contributions is comparable
     * Outreach in both directions is harder because of the disconnect
between western and eastern social services
     * It would be good to have a greater presence of the Asian
community leaders on the engagement team
     * Increase the visibility of the eastern contributors
   * Preliminary estimate that $2500 is left over
    * Good news, it has been a cost-effective conference
    * Increases the chances for outreach
    * We have great potential for expansion of the community

 * OPW
  * Intern payments: board review of which ones can be sent and which
ones cannot be sent yet for the upcoming round
   * We sent out a purchase order to Intel, but it got re-routed
towards a different session
    * We also had issues with the Intel online system for submitting PO
   * Mozilla were invoiced late for round 5, but they did pay for
round 6, 7, and 8
    * They haven't paid yet for round 5
    * '''ACTION''': Marina to follow up with Mozilla for the payment
for OPW round 5
   * We received payments for the current round, but we're still
waiting for the money for a previous round
   * We will have to front the payment for the interns
   * '''VOTE''': Unblock payments for OPW interns sponsored by Intel
and Mozilla: +1 Marina, -1 Kat, Emmanuele and Joanie abstain
   * '''ACTION''': Marina to request for the vote to be finished on
the mailing list.

 * Reach out from SourceForge to the Foundation
  * Emmanuele was contacted by a rep from SourceForge
  * There's the possibility of partnering and generate additional
income for the Foundation
  * '''ACTION''': Emmanuele to send the SorceForge information to board-list

 * Potential meeting on Tue, June 10
  * Emily and Alexandre asked to attend for report on GNOME.Asia and GUADEC
  * '''ACTION''': Kat to propose the meeting for June 10th on board-list

== Completed Actions ==
 * Rosanna to contact Emily about the state of the GNOME.Asia payment
 * Kat to update the travel committee proposal and send the new draft
to the list
 * Kat to contact Brian Cameron about the Groupon legal team
 * Joanie to go over Michael Schumacher ideas on the Gimp funding
processes and merge them with her ideas on the wiki (obsolete)
 * Emmanuele to send hackers up for "adoption" the list of donors that
want a postcard
 * Emmanuele to ask the adboard members for help with Bugzilla update
(Kat, Andrea Veri completed this item)
 * Emmanuele to send a proposal to foundation-list about possible IRC
meetings (dropped)

== Pending action items ==
 * All Directors to reply Andreas's/Kat's email on board list about
visa fees reimbursements
 * All board directors to vote on the contract with LiLo on board-list
 * Andreas to put together a GNOME supporter card for our donors
 * Andreas, Joanie to draft thank you letters to our donors
 * Andreas to investigate the GNOME gifts situation
 * Emmanuele to send Zana and Tobi an update on FoG donors gifts
 * Emmanuele to draft a date and time for the post-release meeting
 * Emmanuele to send the SorceForge information to board-list
 * Joanie to draft a proposal for the photography policy at GNOME
conferences to discuss on foundation-list
 * Joanie and Karen to meet and discuss about the photography policy
for GNOME events
 * Kat to create a private wiki page on the web services accounts
holders and passwords
  * Allan and Kat decided to go for a private git account instead for
security reasons
 * Kat to draft a proposal for a privacy policy for review
 * Kat to draft a contract template for future use organizations for
which we handle money
 * Kat to contact the board candidates for the dates for the
board/adboard meetings at GUADEC
 * Kat to propose the meeting for June 10th on board-list
 * Karen to write the Privacy policy for GNOME services
 * Karen will look at gnome-software privacy issues from a legal standpoint
 * Marina to contact the GNOME.Asia local team on their current budget
 * Marina to follow up with Mozilla for the payment for OPW round 5
 * Marina to request for the vote to be finished on the mailing list.
 * Tobi to continue pursuing the fund collection in Europe
  * Tobi to draft a new WHS agreement after the feedback from the board
 * Tobi to talk to Andrea to move the !PayPal data extraction scripts
over to the GNOME infrastructure
 * Sri to investigate better uses of adsense/adwords on the GNOME websites
 * Sri to communicate to Rosanna and work on the donation for the West
Coast hackfest
 * Sri, Marina, Kat to work on establishing criteria for drafting for
the hiring committee for the ED role
 * Zana to check the inventory of merch she has in storage (low priority)

--
W: http://www.emmanuelebassi.name
B: http://blogs.gnome.org/ebassi/