Meeting Minutes Published - June 7th, 2011
- From: Brian Cameron <brian cameron oracle com>
- To: foundation-list <foundation-list gnome org>, foundation-announce gnome org
- Subject: Meeting Minutes Published - June 7th, 2011
- Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2011 17:44:40 -0500
The meeting minutes for the June 7th GNOME Foundation board
meeting is now published. Refer here:
Other past board meetings are archived here:
-- text of the latest minutes follows --
= Minutes for Meeting of June 7th, 2011 =
== Next Meeting ==
June 14th, 2011
== Attending ==
* Andreas Nilsson
* Bastien Nocera
* Brian Cameron
* Emily Chen
* Germán Póo-Caamaño
* Og Maciel
* Rosanna Yuen
* Stormy Peters
=== Regrets ===
* Paul Cutler
=== Missing ===
== Recurring Items ==
* Review past action items.
* Did each person update their action items?
* Approve and make sure that minutes of last meeting were published to
foundation-announce and foundation-list.
* Make sure to use gobby server for better minute taking.
== New Items ==
* Paul is stepping down.
* Andreas is stepping up to replace Paul as president.
* Bastien is stepping up as vice-president.
* After the board agreed Stormy should be considered first as
replacement for Paul, Germán asked Stormy, and she agreed to step
up to the board.
* ACTION: Brian - Wiki and mailing-list updates for Stormy to
reflect she is on the board.
* ACTION: Andreas - Will send the announcement of the board member
changes on Tuesday, June 14th or later.
* ED Hiring next steps.
* We will need to schedule a meeting with Karen as soon as she
signs the contract.
* ACTION: Og - Will ping the new ED and the lawyers tomorrow and
make sure things are moving along.
* Canonical and Banshee Revenue Sharing - Update
* ACTION: Stormy - To take over Canonical related action items from
* Annual Report
* ACTION: Andreas - Will take over the Financial Report actions.
* ACTION: Stormy - Will take over GnuCash automation actions.
* Quarterly Report Plans
* ACTION: Andreas - Will help Emily publish the quarterly report.
* ACTION: Germán - Will finish the Financial section of the
* Build GUADEC Event Committee
* Brian and Emily attended the first GUADEC Event Committee meeting.
* GUADEC 2012 Bids
* Discussed what's needed for a successful GUADEC bid. Would like
to have it in a country where it has not been before.
* Past GUADEC Budget Information
* ACTION: Germán - To send link to previous year's GUADEC's
budgets to guadec-list.
* Can we send goodies to Pockey Lam for the MOSC2011 conference in
Malaysia (July 3-5, 2011)
* ACTION: Emily - Will work with Pockey Lam to ensure that MOSC2011
has the GNOME resources needed.
* Seeking $3,209 (USD) for sending speakers to COSCUP.
* Approved by the board. Bastien abstained since he is a speaker.
Stormy abstained as she just started at the start of the meeting
and has not reviewed the budget. All other votes by those present
* Sponsor FISL accommodation for two Brazilian contributors ($350).
* Approved unanimously.
* IM, Contacts & Social Hackfest (June 13-17, Cambridge)
* Everything is moving along well, according to Bastien.
* Bank update (Rosanna)
* Gotten most of the money returned. Getting all of the funds will
take 6-8 weeks.
* Rosanna has a meeting with the bank tomorrow to discuss these
ongoing issues. Will provide an update after the meeting.
* Dates for GUADEC advisory board meeting, board meeting and (all
* ACTION: Andreas - To send another e-mail to adboard to remind
about upcoming Advisory Board meeting dates and times.
* Membership Renewal Issues.
* Some people's renewal emails went to spam and they did not catch it
in time to renew in time for voting.
* ACTION: Germán - Will talk to membership committee to see if we can
do something to help remind people to renew memberships to avoid
people losing the ability to vote.
== Completed Actions ==
* Andreas - Will send the announcement of the board member changes on
Tuesday, June 14th or later.
* Brian - Wiki and mailing-list updates for Stormy to reflect she is
on the board.
* Brian - Will call the lawyer to find status on ED hiring and update
* Emily - Will take care of handling funds from GNOME 3.0 Goodies.
Send out a updated expense budget report after produced GNOME 3
goodies. Will need to adjust after spending money to deliver gifts
for the GNOME 3 Party Best Photo winners.
* Emily - Update Tracking ID for 112 Launch Party Packages.
* Germán - To send link to previous year's GUADEC's budgets to
guadec-list. This new action item was done shortly after the
* Og - Will ping the new ED and the lawyers tomorrow and make sure
things are moving along.
== Status of action items ==
* Andreas - To ask Kat if she can reach out to the gnome-de gnome org
mailing list about finding local German volunteers to help with the
Desktop Summit 2011. (will ping again)
* Andreas - Will look into the possibility of a Desktop Summit design
where the facade is more neutral.
* Andreas - Will blog a Desktop Summit status report.
* Andreas - Will discuss with Ryan Lortie providing support contracts
* Andreas - To verify meeting times for the Desktop Summit. That
August 9th is a good date for the board and AGM meetings and August
10th for the Advisory Board meeting. Will confirm on board list,
then the advisory board list.
* Andreas - To start work on next 2011 Annual Report ASAP (due start
FY2012). Taken over from Paul.
* Bastien - To discuss the use of badges (a-la Creative Commons,
last.fm page colors, or PSN badges).
* Bastien - To talk to Olav Vitters about using bugzilla to track
Friends of GNOME post card sending.
* Bastien - To get _a_ WebOS/Palm contact from Lennart Poettering.
* Bastien - To contact the BBC to discuss about possible collaboration
in working directly with GNOME.
* Bastien - Will reach out to Dave Richards from the City of Largo to
plan for a hackfest there.
* Bastien - Reach out to the GNOME Advisory Board via email to see if
they can help out with providing contacts at Yahoo.
* Bastien - To make sure that the "IM, Contacts & Social Hackfest"
gets added to http://live.gnome.org/Hackfests.
* Bastien - To put together a proposal for how technical issues could
be mediated within the community.
* Brian - Develop trademark usage forms for common use cases. James
Vasile from legal is working with Brian on this.
* Brian - Check records of organizations with existing contracts to
use the GNOME trademark. Taken over from Vincent Untz. Look at the
archives in 2005 and try to determine which companies can use the
GNOME trademark. Know what kind of contracts we had with them.
Taken over from Jorge.
* Brian - Will follow up with the lawyers to discuss what would be
involved to provide liability protection like what the Conservancy
provides and to see if they have any perspective about whether the
GNOME Foundation should allow GNOME projects to join Conservancy.
* Brian - Will touch base with the GIMP organizers to find out their
plans for the GIMP money.
* Brian & Og - To coordinate a fund raising meeting with the
GStreamer, a11y, GIMP, and Banshee teams. Will draft an agenda.
* Brian - Follow up with getting Alan Day and Sumana Harihareswara to
sign the Copyright Assessment from SFLC.
* Emily - Will contact the guadec-list and gugmeisters mailing lists
to encourage people to get involved with GUADEC 2012 planning.
* Emily - To contact owners of the Quarterly Report sections and get
the unfinished reports published, and get the 2011 Q2 report started.
* Germán - To discuss with GNOME Hispano about them handling GNOME
Foundation money in Euros (€).
* Germán - To track if the new method of boletos generates more or
less money from Brazil.
* Germán - Will assist with the GNOME 3 as a Foundation goal task and
to help in getting the GNOME 3 as a Foundation Goal survey topics
together. (Handing over to someone else).
* Og - Update the blog and planet to highlight that people are
expected to sign and follow the GNOME Code of Conduct.
* As per Paul's recommendation, I have emailed Vincent to ask him
what his idea is for doing this.
* Still have not heard back from Vincent Untz.
* Still on ToDo.
* Og - To look into Google Checkout as an annual payment option for
* Still on ToDo.
* Paul - Will work with Gil Forcada from guifi.net and gnome-marketing
to define the best way for organizations like guifi.net to
participate in the GNOME community. Not many replies from the
community. Diego Urrelo will draft something more concrete for gnome-
marketing to determine the best name and process for managing this.
There was a discussion on the mailing list and a few good ideas,
Diego will wrap them up and send them again for further comments.
* Paul - Will follow-up with Board to read the Advisory Board fees for
small businesses proposal, ask for feedback and set a date to vote
* Paul - To review Justin's email about updating trademark agreements
and email the marketing team for feedback.
* Rosanna - Will apply for the GNOME credit card.
* Rosanna - Automate the process of entering PayPal information into
* Stormy - Take care of GnuCash automation. Taken over from Paul &
* Stormy - To take over Canonical related action items from Paul.
* All board members - To review and comment Brian's April 14th
proposal regarding better organizing earmarked fundraising.
* Unowned - To find a way to automate the process of exporting results
from internal review process and email it to the board.
=== New Action Items ===
* Andreas - Will help Emily publish the quarterly report.
* Andreas - To send another e-mail to adboard to remind about upcoming
Advisory Board meeting dates and times.
* Emily - Will work with Pockey Lam to ensure that MOSC2011 (Malaysia,
July 3-5, 2011) has the GNOME resources needed.
* Germán - Will finish the Financial section of the quarterly report.
* Germán - Will talk to membership committee to see if we can do
something to help remind people to renew memberships to avoid people
losing the ability to vote.
* Germán - To send link to previous year's GUADEC's budgets to
== Discussed on the mailing list ==
* Discussions regarding hiring a new ED and changes to the board.
* Desktop Summit planning
* Planning when to have board, advisory board, and AGM meetings.
* Planning for the "IM, Contacts & Social" Hackfest.
* Planning for the GUADEC Planning Committee meeting on June 6th.
* Ryan Lortie provided a report about the KDE platform sprint in
* Pockey Lam asked if GNOME goodies could be sent to the MOSC2011
free software event in Malaysia (July 3-5, 2011).
* Working to send 4 GNOME speakers to COSCUP in Taiwan. Travel
costs are estimated to be $3,209 (USD)
* Bastien Nocera From Red Hat
* Xan Lopez from Iglia
* Halton Huo From Intel Beijing
* Hu NingXin From Intel Beijing
* The GIMP Project asked us to transfer $10,000 to LGM.
* FreeWear provided a report of sold GNOME merchandise on June 1st
for the previous month. Royalty to GNOME is 5 Euros.
* Emily shared an updated budget for the GNOME 3.0 Launch Parties
which reflects some updated costs.
* Claudio Saavedra sent The GNOME Foundation a final report about
the GTK+ / MeeGo work.
* The board responded to András Bognár's questions about setting up
a Hungarian GNOME User's Group.
* David Zeuthen asked for some legal assistance about his "Online
* A couple of GNOME Foundation community members complained that
they did not know they needed to renew Foundation membership to
] [Thread Prev