Meeting Minutes Published - October 29, 2009
- From: Brian Cameron <Brian Cameron Sun COM>
- To: foundation-list gnome org, foundation-announce gnome org
- Subject: Meeting Minutes Published - October 29, 2009
- Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2009 15:27:12 -0600
The meeting minutes for the October 29th board meeting is now public.
Other past board meetings are archived here:
-- text of the latest minutes follows --
Minutes for Meeting of October 29th, 2009
November 12, 2009
* Behdad Esfahbod
* Brian Cameron
* Diego Escalante
* Germán Póo-Caamaño
* Lucas Rocha
* Rosanna Yuen
* Stormy Peters
* Vincent Untz
* Srinivasa Ragavan
* Review past action items.
* Did each person with action items send their status reports to the
board list before the meeting?
* Approve and make sure that minutes of last meeting were published
to foundation-announce and foundation-list.
* Make sure to start up the gobby server for better note taking.
* System administrator hiring - waiting for funding.
* Update foundation.gnome.org website.
* The NLnet grant that Shane Coughlan applied for on October 1st
relating to GNOME Usability was not approved. We can try again in
December. We should think about what additional projects the GNOME
Foundation should consider applying for this grant. NLnet has a
special interest in areas of intersections between Free Software
and Open Standards, and especially anything to do with ODF. So
perhaps we could put together other proposals that are more
clearly aligned with their areas of interest.
* The GNOME Foundation sent a request on November 3rd to Richard
Stallman to make a statement about his keynote at the GCDS
* Discussed the need to set up more formal guidelines for future
speakers at GNOME events to better communicate what is expected
from speakers. Vincent will touch base with Matthew Garrett and
the community to determine how the GNOME Code of Conduct needs to
be updated to reflect speakers.
* There has been a recent complaint that a GNOME community member
had a blog post which does not follow the GNOME Code of Conduct.
The board is discussing how to addressing this particular issue.
More generally, we need to make sure that GNOME Foundation members
sign the GNOME Code of Conduct, and perhaps make it a requirement
for new members to sign. Also need to update the GNOME blog and
planet so that it is more clear that people should follow the
GNOME Code of Conduct.
* Approved paying the GStreamer Summer of Code costs out of the
money the GNOME Foundation is holding for the GStreamer project.
* Approved the budget ($3,631) for DíaGNOME @ EncuentroLinux
* Did the bi-annual review of Stormy's progress, and since it is the
end of the fiscal year, the board calculated her bonus. In the
past two quarters she received a discretionary bonus of $1,800 for
a yearly total of $3,150. For fund raising, she received a yearly
bonus of $11,500. This is a total yearly bonus of $14,650.
* Brian - Since there was little interest on the foundation-list
about getting international general liability and accident
insurance, the board decided to not pursue getting such coverage
at this time. Brian agreed to follow-up with the lawyers to find
out what sort of text we should include in the travel subsidy
agreement to ensure that people who receive subsidy understand
that the Foundation is not providing coverage. The GNOME legal
team provided suggested text in mid-October. Now Germán is working
to actually add the text to the document.
* Brian - Send email to the board list to schedule a special meeting
for Stormy's review. Previously we were doing reviews quarterly,
but moving forward these reviews will be done bi-annually.
* Diego - Contact the sysadmin team about account creation. Talk
with Bruno about who needs accounts.
* Diego - Keep track of FISOL invitation (Chiapas, Mexico) - take
over from Germán.
* Vincent - Will contact advisory board members to see if they will
sponsor upcoming events.
* Behdad - Tasked with scrubbing the GnuCash file so it can be made
public. Behdad sent a scrubbed GnuCash file to Rosanna to check,
but still pending.
* Brian - Get information about what should be in an "Employee
Handbook". Still pending.
* Brian - Look into organizing a hackfest on "how to make it easier
for more people to do some usability magic". Discussions on
usability list just starting, and making progress with seeking
NLnet grant. Ongoing.
* Germán - Put together a proposal for how to address board members
who become inactive. Still pending.
* Germán - Take over John Palmieri's previous task to propose new
obligations that people who receive travel subsidies should be
asked to do in return.
* Germán - will get in contact with GUADEC organizers to clarify
* Lucas - Work with Andreas for the donation ruler. Try to put $15k
in the ruler in "yellow" ($10k for Canonical, $5k for Google) to
indicate that these funds are matching. Waiting for Paul to get
the general marketing message behind the ruler before publishing
it. Paul was pinged on September 17th about it.
* Lucas & Alberto - Set up a Euro bank account. Still in progress.
* Paul - Will provide an overview of hiring a sysadmin and the
benefits that has for the overall GNOME community.
* Rosanna - Research the GNOME Guidestar website and update if
necessary. Rosanna sent an update about the status of Guidestar,
but work is still needed. Need to find someone to keep the website
* Rosanna - to send check to pay 401K setup fees.
* Srini - Ping John Palmieri for status about importing Paypal data
into GnuCash. John Palmieri was pinged, but no response yet.
* Srini - Send out the GUADEC call-for-hosts, and the next meeting
with be an IRC meeting to discuss Done. Srini has the meeting
logs, but not yet published in the wiki. Yet to format and upload
and announce the meeting logs.
* Stormy - Should the GNOME Foundation buy a blanket LWN membership.
Very low priority. Will bring it up with Jonathan Corbet when they
* Stormy - To propose a case study on how the improvements we made
with bugzilla made a difference as input for the marketing
materials for why the Foundation needs to hire a system
* Stormy - Create a more public process for suggesting and deciding
upon topics for future advisory board meetings. Conversations in
* Vincent - Will look into who the GNOME Foundation should send to
the Mobile User Experience conference, perhaps Paul Cooper.
Vincent mailed Paul and is waiting for an answer.
* Vincent & Lucas - Determine how to announce the endorsement of
Franklin Street Statement on Freedom and Network Services. This is
blocking on a release team action that Lucas has ("push for a "web
services" set of libraries")
New Action Items
* Brian - Touch base with the GNOME Marketing list to discuss other
opportunities for seeking nlnet grants.
* Brian - Follow up with Richard Stallman about his statement about
* Lucas - Work to ensure that Foundation members sign the GNOME Code
of Conduct, and make it a requirement that new Foundation members
need to sign this.
* Vincent - Touch base with Matthew Garrett and with the GNOME
community to determine how the GNOME Code of Conduct needs to be
enhanced to reflect speakers.
* Vincent - Update the blog and planet to highlight that people are
expected to sign and follow the GNOME Code of Conduct.
Discussed on board-list
* Preparation and review of the GNOME Q3 report.
* Discussion about the budget ($3,631) for DíaGNOME @
EncuentroLinux, which was approved at the meeting.
* Request from Christian Schaller to pay for the GStreamer-related
Google Summer of Code costs. The GNOME Foundation holds money for
the GStreamer project, and the board agreed to pay these costs out
of their money.
* Discussion about Stormy's bi-annual review. Feedback was collected
from all the board members to share with her, and discussion about
* Discussion about asking Richard Stallman to send a statement about
his keynote at GCDS. The request to Richard went through a few
rounds of review to make sure before sending it on November 3rd.
* Discussion about a recent complaint that a GNOME community member
had a blog post which does not follow the GNOME Code of Conduct.
* Discussion about making the GNOME bugzilla data available for
requests to do academic research on the data.
[Date Prev][Date Next
] [Thread Prev][Thread Next