Meeting Minutes Published - December 10, 2009

The meeting minutes for the December 10th board meeting is now public.
Refer here:

Other past board meetings are archived here:

-- text of the latest minutes follows --

Minutes for Meeting of December 10th, 2009

Next Meeting

January 7th, 2009


    * Brian Cameron
    * Germán Póo-Caamaño
    * Srinivasa Ragavan
    * Stormy Peters
    * Vincent Untz


    * Behdad Esfahbod
    * Lucas Rocha


    * Diego Escalante
    * Rosanna Yuen


Recurring Items

    * Review past action items.
    * Did each person with action items send their status reports to
      the board list before the meeting?
    * Approve and make sure that minutes of last meeting were published
      to foundation-announce and foundation-list.
    * Make sure to start up the gobby server for better note taking.
    * System administrator hiring - waiting for funding.
    * Update website.

New items

    * Announcement of advisory board doubling of fees was announced on
      the advisory board and foundation mailing lists.
    * The board agreed that Thursday at 5pm UTC will be the board
      meeting time going forward.
    * GUADEC 2010 has been announced.
          o Find a mentor for the GUADEC organizers. Dave Neary was
            mentioned as a good person to consider, if he is agreeable.
          o Should make an effort to capture planning information for
            future event planning.
          o Keep the organizers in the loop as we are working to define
            new event planning and trademark usage policies.
    * Responded to the person who sent the board of directors analysis
      about the evolution module.
    * Need to update the Foundation website to indicate the new fee.
    * Usability hackfest is converging for February, should make an
      announcement soon. Need to follow-up with sponsors who have
      previously expressed an interest in providing sponsorship for a
      Usability related event.
    * What is the status of the annual report? Vincent will follow-up.

Action Items

Completed Actions

    * Brian - Reply to people asking for GNOME brand usage for
    * Lucas - Will work to put together some web information about next
    * Stormy - Send out announcements regarding doubling of adboard
    * Rosanna - to send check to pay 401K setup fees.
    * Vincent - Publish the new Advisory Board duties on the web and to
      send an email to the foundation-list to announce it.
    * Vincent - Follow up with video hackfest organizers and find out
      if there is any sponsorship money due. Done. All costs were
      covered by sponsors.
    * Vincent - Will look into who the GNOME Foundation should send to
      the Mobile User Experience conference. This was closed some time
      ago. The GNOME Foundation did not partner the event in the end
      and nobody from GNOME attended.
    * Vincent - Update the Foundation website for new adboard fees.
    * Everyone - Provide available meeting times in Doodle after Stormy
      provides the survey. Be flexible!

Old Actions

    * Behdad - Tasked with scrubbing the GnuCash file so it can be made
      public. Behdad sent a scrubbed GnuCash file to Rosanna to check,
      but still pending.
    * Brian - Get information about what should be in an "Employee
      Handbook". Draft under review.
    * Brian - Look into organizing a hackfest on "how to make it easier
      for more people to do some usability magic". Plan to make an
      announcement next week.
    * Diego - Will work to organize an IRC Foundation meeting.
    * Diego - Taken over from Stormy. Will work with Gil Forcada from and gnome-marketing to define the best way for
      organizations like to participate in the GNOME
      community. Not much replies from the community. Diego will draft
      something more concrete and ask for comments on it.
    * Diego - Start discussion about how to improve how money is
      allocated for hackfests. Diego will send another iteration of it
      this next week.
    * Germán - Put together a proposal for how to address board members
      who become inactive. Still pending.
    * Lucas - Work with Andreas for the donation ruler. Try to put $15k
      in the ruler in "yellow" ($10k for Canonical, $5k for Google) to
      indicate that these funds are matching. Waiting for Paul to get
      the general marketing message behind the ruler before publishing
      it. Paul was pinged on September 17th about it. This was discussed at the
      Marketing Hackfest in October. Vinicius is working on it.
    * Lucas - Work to ensure that Foundation members sign the GNOME
      Code of Conduct, and make it a requirement that new Foundation
      members need to sign this. Lucas completed a draft currently
      under review. Started discussion on foundation list. Got a lot
      comments and feedback. Will summarize the discussion points in
      the next week.
    * Lucas & Alberto - Set up a Euro bank account. Still in progress.
      Lucas is checking if GNOME Hispano could help us with that.
    * Paul - Will provide an overview of hiring a sysadmin and the
      benefits that has for the overall GNOME community.
    * Rosanna - Research the GNOME Guidestar website and update if
      necessary. Rosanna sent an update about the status of Guidestar,
      but work is still needed. Need to find someone to keep the
      website up-to-date.
    * Srini - Ping John Palmieri for status about importing Paypal data
      into GnuCash. John Palmieri was pinged, but no response yet.
    * Srini - Send out the GUADEC call-for-hosts, and the next meeting
      with be an IRC meeting to discuss Done. Srini has the meeting
      logs, but not yet published in the wiki. Yet to format and upload
      and announce the meeting logs. Leaving this as an open item until
      the logs are available.
    * Stormy - To propose a case study on how the improvements we made
      with bugzilla made a difference as input for the marketing
      materials for why the Foundation needs to hire a system
      administrator. Working with Max and waiting on him.
    * Stormy - Create a more public process for suggesting and deciding
      upon topics for future advisory board meetings. Conversations in
    * Stormy - To schedule a meeting with companies that do consulting
      work with GNOME to start discussions on how we can help (how can
      we work together).
    * Vincent - Touch base with Matthew Garrett and with the GNOME
      community to determine how the GNOME Code of Conduct needs to be
      enhanced to reflect speakers. Ongoing. First draft available,
      need to push this.
    * Vincent - Update the blog and planet to highlight that people are
      expected to sign and follow the GNOME Code of Conduct. Waiting
      for end of thread on foundation-list.
    * Vincent - Follow-up with Intel to determine what to do about
      copyright assignment for clutter. Waiting for an official update
      from Intel.
    * Vincent & Lucas - Determine how to announce the endorsement of
      Franklin Street Statement on Freedom and Network Services. This
      is blocking on a release team action that Lucas has ("push for a
      "web services" set of libraries")
    * Vincent - Will start discussion with adboard about co-locating in
      2011 after the announcement. This is a topic for the next adboard
      meeting (January), so discussion will be started a week before
      the meeting.

New Action Items

    * Brian - Develop trademark usage forms for common use cases.
    * Vincent - Check records of organizations with existing contracts
      to use the GNOME trademark.
    * Vincent - Follow up with Michael Meeks and Bradley Kuhn to see if
      there is an interest in defining a policy the release team can
      follow to know whether a project with a copyright assignment
      requirement can be accepted or not. What sorts of copyright
      assignments are acceptable? A mail has already been sent to
      Bradley and Michael.
    * Vincent - Follow up with the status of the annual report. A mail
      has already been sent to Paul.
    * Stormy - Will follow-up with Nokia.

Discussed on board-list

    * Discussion leading to the announcement for advisory board fees
    * Planning and discussion for the advisory board meeting on
      December 8th.
    * Some initial planning from Eitan Isaacson about an upcoming
      Accessibility Hackfest at CSUN, San Diego, March 22-27.
    * Planning for the upcoming Usability Hackfest in London, February
    * Diego wrote a draft proposal for improving the hackfest proposal
      workflow. Under discussion and review.
    * Discussion about Stormy's goals for the next year. The board
      plans to make defining goals a more transparent process moving
      forward, so we are preparing a proposal for the GNOME Foundation
      to review.
    * The GNOME Foundation received two requests from people to sell
      GNOME branded merchandise. Need to review and respond. It might
      be necessary to define process to manage additional organizations
      selling GNOME branded merchandise.
    * Should a "GNOME Trademark Guidelines FAQ" be put together to
      explain how the GNOME trademark can and cannot be used. Is it
      possible to update the Trademark Guidelines to make it easier for
      some common uses to be approved (such as using the logo for a
      tshirt at a GNOME event). This would provide an easy link
      response to answer common questions.
    * Discussion about creating a new Event Planning and Trademark
      Usage process.
    * Received an assessment of Evolution from William L J Xu-Doeve.
    * Stormy met with LiMo, and made good progress on finding ways to
      work more closely together in the future.
    * Vincent confirmed that no money is needed for the recent Video
    * Discussion about finalizing the transfer of the GStreamer Google
      Summer of Code money.
    * Peter Mathijssen provided proposed logos for GUADEC 2010 which
      the board commented on.
    * The GNOME Foundation private Wiki has been reorganized and made
      more useful, so there has been discussion about this.

[Date Prev][Date Next]   [Thread Prev][Thread Next]   [Thread Index] [Date Index] [Author Index]