Meeting Minutes Published - December 10, 2009
- From: Brian Cameron <Brian Cameron Sun COM>
- To: foundation-list gnome org, foundation-announce gnome org
- Subject: Meeting Minutes Published - December 10, 2009
- Date: Thu, 24 Dec 2009 11:13:51 -0600
The meeting minutes for the December 10th board meeting is now public.
Other past board meetings are archived here:
-- text of the latest minutes follows --
Minutes for Meeting of December 10th, 2009
January 7th, 2009
* Brian Cameron
* Germán Póo-Caamaño
* Srinivasa Ragavan
* Stormy Peters
* Vincent Untz
* Behdad Esfahbod
* Lucas Rocha
* Diego Escalante
* Rosanna Yuen
* Review past action items.
* Did each person with action items send their status reports to
the board list before the meeting?
* Approve and make sure that minutes of last meeting were published
to foundation-announce and foundation-list.
* Make sure to start up the gobby server for better note taking.
* System administrator hiring - waiting for funding.
* Update foundation.gnome.org website.
* Announcement of advisory board doubling of fees was announced on
the advisory board and foundation mailing lists.
* The board agreed that Thursday at 5pm UTC will be the board
meeting time going forward.
* GUADEC 2010 has been announced.
o Find a mentor for the GUADEC organizers. Dave Neary was
mentioned as a good person to consider, if he is agreeable.
o Should make an effort to capture planning information for
future event planning.
o Keep the organizers in the loop as we are working to define
new event planning and trademark usage policies.
* Responded to the person who sent the board of directors analysis
about the evolution module.
* Need to update the Foundation website to indicate the new fee.
* Usability hackfest is converging for February, should make an
announcement soon. Need to follow-up with sponsors who have
previously expressed an interest in providing sponsorship for a
Usability related event.
* What is the status of the annual report? Vincent will follow-up.
* Brian - Reply to people asking for GNOME brand usage for
* Lucas - Will work to put together some web information about next
* Stormy - Send out announcements regarding doubling of adboard
* Rosanna - to send check to pay 401K setup fees.
* Vincent - Publish the new Advisory Board duties on the web and to
send an email to the foundation-list to announce it.
* Vincent - Follow up with video hackfest organizers and find out
if there is any sponsorship money due. Done. All costs were
covered by sponsors.
* Vincent - Will look into who the GNOME Foundation should send to
the Mobile User Experience conference. This was closed some time
ago. The GNOME Foundation did not partner the event in the end
and nobody from GNOME attended.
* Vincent - Update the Foundation website for new adboard fees.
* Everyone - Provide available meeting times in Doodle after Stormy
provides the survey. Be flexible!
* Behdad - Tasked with scrubbing the GnuCash file so it can be made
public. Behdad sent a scrubbed GnuCash file to Rosanna to check,
but still pending.
* Brian - Get information about what should be in an "Employee
Handbook". Draft under review.
* Brian - Look into organizing a hackfest on "how to make it easier
for more people to do some usability magic". Plan to make an
announcement next week.
* Diego - Will work to organize an IRC Foundation meeting.
* Diego - Taken over from Stormy. Will work with Gil Forcada from
guifi.net and gnome-marketing to define the best way for
organizations like guifi.net to participate in the GNOME
community. Not much replies from the community. Diego will draft
something more concrete and ask for comments on it.
* Diego - Start discussion about how to improve how money is
allocated for hackfests. Diego will send another iteration of it
this next week.
* Germán - Put together a proposal for how to address board members
who become inactive. Still pending.
* Lucas - Work with Andreas for the donation ruler. Try to put $15k
in the ruler in "yellow" ($10k for Canonical, $5k for Google) to
indicate that these funds are matching. Waiting for Paul to get
the general marketing message behind the ruler before publishing
it. Paul was pinged on September 17th about it.
http://www.gnome.org/friends/drive/. This was discussed at the
Marketing Hackfest in October. Vinicius is working on it.
* Lucas - Work to ensure that Foundation members sign the GNOME
Code of Conduct, and make it a requirement that new Foundation
members need to sign this. Lucas completed a draft currently
under review. Started discussion on foundation list. Got a lot
comments and feedback. Will summarize the discussion points in
the next week.
* Lucas & Alberto - Set up a Euro bank account. Still in progress.
Lucas is checking if GNOME Hispano could help us with that.
* Paul - Will provide an overview of hiring a sysadmin and the
benefits that has for the overall GNOME community.
* Rosanna - Research the GNOME Guidestar website and update if
necessary. Rosanna sent an update about the status of Guidestar,
but work is still needed. Need to find someone to keep the
* Srini - Ping John Palmieri for status about importing Paypal data
into GnuCash. John Palmieri was pinged, but no response yet.
* Srini - Send out the GUADEC call-for-hosts, and the next meeting
with be an IRC meeting to discuss Done. Srini has the meeting
logs, but not yet published in the wiki. Yet to format and upload
and announce the meeting logs. Leaving this as an open item until
the logs are available.
* Stormy - To propose a case study on how the improvements we made
with bugzilla made a difference as input for the marketing
materials for why the Foundation needs to hire a system
administrator. Working with Max and waiting on him.
* Stormy - Create a more public process for suggesting and deciding
upon topics for future advisory board meetings. Conversations in
* Stormy - To schedule a meeting with companies that do consulting
work with GNOME to start discussions on how we can help (how can
we work together).
* Vincent - Touch base with Matthew Garrett and with the GNOME
community to determine how the GNOME Code of Conduct needs to be
enhanced to reflect speakers. Ongoing. First draft available,
need to push this.
* Vincent - Update the blog and planet to highlight that people are
expected to sign and follow the GNOME Code of Conduct. Waiting
for end of thread on foundation-list.
* Vincent - Follow-up with Intel to determine what to do about
copyright assignment for clutter. Waiting for an official update
* Vincent & Lucas - Determine how to announce the endorsement of
Franklin Street Statement on Freedom and Network Services. This
is blocking on a release team action that Lucas has ("push for a
"web services" set of libraries")
* Vincent - Will start discussion with adboard about co-locating in
2011 after the announcement. This is a topic for the next adboard
meeting (January), so discussion will be started a week before
New Action Items
* Brian - Develop trademark usage forms for common use cases.
* Vincent - Check records of organizations with existing contracts
to use the GNOME trademark.
* Vincent - Follow up with Michael Meeks and Bradley Kuhn to see if
there is an interest in defining a policy the release team can
follow to know whether a project with a copyright assignment
requirement can be accepted or not. What sorts of copyright
assignments are acceptable? A mail has already been sent to
Bradley and Michael.
* Vincent - Follow up with the status of the annual report. A mail
has already been sent to Paul.
* Stormy - Will follow-up with Nokia.
Discussed on board-list
* Discussion leading to the announcement for advisory board fees
* Planning and discussion for the advisory board meeting on
* Some initial planning from Eitan Isaacson about an upcoming
Accessibility Hackfest at CSUN, San Diego, March 22-27.
* Planning for the upcoming Usability Hackfest in London, February
* Diego wrote a draft proposal for improving the hackfest proposal
workflow. Under discussion and review.
* Discussion about Stormy's goals for the next year. The board
plans to make defining goals a more transparent process moving
forward, so we are preparing a proposal for the GNOME Foundation
* The GNOME Foundation received two requests from people to sell
GNOME branded merchandise. Need to review and respond. It might
be necessary to define process to manage additional organizations
selling GNOME branded merchandise.
* Should a "GNOME Trademark Guidelines FAQ" be put together to
explain how the GNOME trademark can and cannot be used. Is it
possible to update the Trademark Guidelines to make it easier for
some common uses to be approved (such as using the logo for a
tshirt at a GNOME event). This would provide an easy link
response to answer common questions.
* Discussion about creating a new Event Planning and Trademark
* Received an assessment of Evolution from William L J Xu-Doeve.
* Stormy met with LiMo, and made good progress on finding ways to
work more closely together in the future.
* Vincent confirmed that no money is needed for the recent Video
* Discussion about finalizing the transfer of the GStreamer Google
Summer of Code money.
* Peter Mathijssen provided proposed logos for GUADEC 2010 which
the board commented on.
* The GNOME Foundation private Wiki has been reorganized and made
more useful, so there has been discussion about this.
][Date Next] [Thread Prev