Candidacy: Lucas Rocha

Hi all,

Name: Lucas Rocha
E-mail: lucasr gnome org
Affiliation: Nokia

Who am I?
---------
I've been an active GNOME contributor since 2005. Since then I got involved in
a bunch of different (technical and non-technical) activities inside the
project by maintaining (Eye of GNOME and zenity) and contributing to some of
our software modules, co-coordinating projects (Google Summer of Code in GNOME,
GNOME Journal, GNOME Roadmap, GNOME Brasil, ...), side-contributing to some
teams (Web, Marketing, ...), organizing events, and other misc stuff. In the
specific GNOME Foundation scope, I've been a member the Membership Committee
for more than 1 year, from which a resigned some time after I became part of
the current Board in July.  Currently, I work for Nokia on the development of
GNOME Mobile related stuff such as Maemo and Hildon. I'm from Brazil, I
have a beautiful mustache, a small beard and big smile in my face.

Why?
----
I was very lucky to have this opportunity to become a Board member for some
months because I had the chance to get to know how the actual work of the Board
happens. Naturally, it took some time until I felt confortable as a Board
member but now that I have a more clear picture of what it means to Board member
in practice, I think I'll be able to contribute much more and better. As a
GNOME contributor, I've been trying to help the community to find out its own
direction and I think that as a Board member, I'll be able to facilitate
the right people to get together and push the project forward.

Goals as Board member
---------------------
I have some major goals in mind. Some of them are about keeping the good
current work, others are proposed improvements and others are both. :-)

Reactive perspective:
 - Respond quickly to requests about sponsorships, partnerships, general
   questions, etc.

Proactive perspective:
 - Incremental production of annual report to make it easier to have something
   in the end of the year;
 - Take care of transparency, provide useful information about current
   Board activities, and bring topics for discussion to membership
   when applicable;
 - Organize and/or facilitate topic-based summits with relevant contributors
   for boosting, hacking, setting direction of diffents parts/aspects of our
   desktop and platform. Those summits could be self-contained or take place
   on existing FLOSS conferences. The topics could be things like: "real-time
   communication", "panels and applets", "GNOME mobile", "eye candy",
   "online desktop", "python bindings", "multimedia experience", etc.
 - Keep in touch with user groups to know what they need for their local
   activities.

Musical perspective:
 - Organize the biggest concert ever of "The Drooling Macaque" band in
   Istambul! Radiohead and Jamiroquai were already invited as the opening
   bands. I guess we'll need to save some money to pay them. Woohoo! :-P