Re: [Openfontlibrary] Re: [DejaVu-fonts] forming new maintenance team for MPH 2B Damase?

On Mon, 2007-02-12 at 05:32 -0700, Mark Williamson wrote:
> I believe all non-original glyphs have been edited out of the font in
> the latest version. This was undertaken by Paul Wise, I do not know if
> he has committed the changes yet, but it is in progress.
>
> Mr Gaultney's allegation that he "recognizes many font styles" is
> irrelevant. Styles of font cannot be copyrighted. Indeed, there are
> often many different individual font _faces_ by many different authors
> which share _styles_ although the shapes of the glyphs still differ.
>
> Victor is welcome to comb the ranges whose "styles" he recognizes, and
> he will find that while I may have been inspired by previous fonts,
> the glyphshapes are original (the only exception that comes to mind is
> Sylheti). One way you can tell is that I left many of the glyphs
> "unfinished" from my original drawings, that is, the contours are not
> smoothed, which causes certain glyphs to look bad in large type sizes.
> I had intended to fix this, and the vertical alignment issue with
> glyphs in certain ranges (especially Latin) in later versions of the
> font. However I am too busy now to do so. and I wonder if the uniquely
> misaligned appearance of glyphs in the Latin range and the unfinished
> appearance of glyphs in certain other ranges hasn't become a signature
> of the font.
>
> Mark

Cool Makr, thanks for following up on this. Would you like us to host
your font on openfontlibrary.org so we can help package, develop and
share this public domain font?

It would be great to continue to push on your great contribution :)

Thanks

Jon

--
Jon Phillips