Re: replacement character

Le jeudi 12 janvier 2006 à 14:49 -0500, Matthias Clasen a écrit :
> On Thu, 2006-01-12 at 20:42 +0100, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:

> > For every font you try fontconfig fallbacks till it finds a font file
> > that claims to provide the glyph -> every font which is missing this
> > glyph (almost all) is fallbacking on the same problem font.
> >
> > Install any font which provides the right glyph, putting it on higher
> > prio than the b0rked font, and everything will be fine. Including in the
> > unicode table applet.
>
> Ah, you are probably right. I somehow thought I had seen it in a gif in
> the brower, but it was probably just Vera again ...

Actually Vera is just one of the numerous fonts which is missing the
unknown character. If I had to guess which one of the other fonts is
claiming the squiggle is a decent "unknown character" I'd choose Luxi as
its big coverage was done originally at the price of quality (for
example, it had a problem Euro symbol for some time before enough people
complained). But I didn't check so I might be wrong.

dejavu has a clean textbook "REPLACEMENT CHARACTER". It was added in the
1.13 version (14 august 2005). The problem was reported by a Fedora Core
3 user the 27 June 2005
(http://mail.nl.linux.org/linux-utf8/2005-06/msg00025.html beware this
thread was cross and multi posted, you may have to google for the bits
on other lists)

Regards,

--
Nicolas Mailhot