Re: replacement character

Le jeudi 12 janvier 2006 à 14:06 -0500, Matthias Clasen a écrit :
> On Thu, 2006-01-12 at 22:26 +0330, Roozbeh Pournader wrote:
> > On Thu, 2006-01-12 at 12:58 -0500, Matthias Clasen wrote:
> > > I wonder why some fonts have the glyph I would expect there, a question
> > > mark on some dark background (Fixed), or just a black square (Console),
> >
> > Those are fine.
> >
> > > but most of the text fonts, in particular Bitstream Vera, have something
> > > that looks similar to a cedilla or comma. Is that a traditional symbol
> > > used to indicate unknown characters ? I would be much happier to have a
> > > more questionmarkesque glyph in all fonts...
> >
> > That's weird and very probably a bug or something in Bitstream Vera.
> > (There is a small chance it's a workaround for some bug somewhere, but
> > it's clearly not a traditional symbold for unknown characters.)
> >
> > roozbeh
> >

> Hmm, but the same glyph appears in the Unicode tables...

That's not weird at all.
It told you Fedora does not have any variable font providing a clean
unknown character (most certainly Vera since dejavu had to create the
glyph, probably all others else there would have been a problem report
last year)

What it got is one font lying about this glyph (probably because its
designer considered no one would ever use it, and put a random squiggle
in its place).

For every font you try fontconfig fallbacks till it finds a font file
that claims to provide the glyph -> every font which is missing this
glyph (almost all) is fallbacking on the same problem font.

Install any font which provides the right glyph, putting it on higher
prio than the b0rked font, and everything will be fine. Including in the
unicode table applet.

--
Nicolas Mailhot