GTK fonts not using subpixel hinting :(

I recently did an update with apt and now all my gnome applications have non
anti-aliased (or pixel hinting) fonts that look really ugly.  Such
applications as Mozilla Firefox, gparted and gimp all look terrible.  My KDE
apps however are not affected such as open office.

Is it possible to correct this using configuration files? I currently do not
have the entire gnome desktop installed so i dont think i can access the
gnome control panel?

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I have a LCD screen and these fonts
look terrible on it.

my ~/.gtkrc-2.0:
gtk-font-name = "Tahoma 12"
gtk-xft-antialias = 1

i have even exported exported antialiasing to be on:
GDK_USE_XFT=0

my fonts.conf:
<?xml version="1.0"?>
<!DOCTYPE fontconfig SYSTEM "fonts.dtd">
<fontconfig>
 <match target="font" >
  <edit mode="assign" name="hinting" >
   <bool>true</bool>
  </edit>
 </match>
 <match target="font" >
  <edit mode="assign" name="hintstyle" >
   <const>hintfull</const>
  </edit>
 </match>
</fontconfig>
Sent from the Gnome - Fonts forum at Nabble.com.