Re: Bitstream Vera Sans render problem with GTK apps (Firefox, KDE OK)

On Wed, 2005-11-30 at 13:16 -0500, Jim Gettys wrote:
> Ubuntu breezy is the first linux distribution to ship the latest Pango,
> which has a different rendering backend, and may be also be kerning for the
> first time.
>
> Owen, Keith, help me out here... Is this likely to be a Vera bug, or a
> Pango/cairo bug?  I suspect Vera, but I suspect you're in the best
> position to make the call.

Kerning is enabled both in the latest Pango and in older Pango.

It is unlikely to be a Pango problem, though that's not *completely*
impossible. Some rounding error in glyph positioning could theoretically
have been introduced, though the error there looks large.

It's more likely to be a problem with either FreeType (the version
of FreeType 2 isn't mentioned in the mail) or with with the font.

It would really have to be debugged by someone working with that
software stack, such as the people at Ubuntu.

I don't really know how FreeType kerning interacts with the bytecode
hinting ... it's probably something in that area.

Regards,
						Owen