Bitstream Vera Sans render problem with GTK apps (Firefox, KDE OK)

Hi everyone, the following screenshot demonstrates my problem:

http://eric.extremeboredom.net/images/screenshots/vera-sans-problem1.png

Note the "File" menu. Firefox renders this properly, but epiphany
(which is a native GTK application obviously, I have this problem with
any GTK app) doesn't leave enough space between the "F" and the "i".
This is the most obvious way to demo the problem, but other characters
are having trouble as well.

My "Application Font" is "Bitstream Vera Sans Roman" size 8.

I am using Ubuntu Breezy with the following version information:

libttf2 1.4pre.20030402-1.1
libxft2 2.1.7-1ubuntu5
fontconfig 2.3.2-1ubuntu4

Native hinting and subpixel rendering are both enabled.

Thanks a lot,
Eric