Re: font fuzziness with Bitstream Vera

When we have our open source technology fully enabled, it is *better*
than Microsoft ClearType.  You won't get as crisp a display on Windows
as you can on Linux, when everything is enabled.

Vera's hinting turns out (for various reasons) to have been optimized
towards our technology, rather than Microsoft's ClearType or previous
rendering tehcnology.

There were problems with Vera's predecessor Prima's hinting that our
technology uncovered (the hinting problem was being hidden by the poorer
Windows technology), and all of those hints were removed, and Vera
rehinted to display well on the open source freetype/xft technology.

So it is possible with different hinting to possibly do better on
Windows than Vera currently does, but might impact the quality seen
on open source platforms.  Trying to rehint the font to do well with
several different rendering technologies simultanously would have been
more expense that Bitstream could afford.

You know what way I recommended Bitstream go :-).

Also note that the freetype autohinter's behavior has been problematic
at times.  If you definitively want to see how well Vera can do, ensure
the TT hinter is enabled, and enable subpixel decimation.

Also, I note the latest firefox I got out of Debian unstable seems to be
linked agains an internal copy of freetype rather than the system
installed freetype, and is now fuzzy.  Grrrrrr..........

				- Jim