Re: font fuzziness with Bitstream Vera

Thanks, Jim :)

But I'm wondering under what conditions this might happen in Windows, and less about how to fix it. Given that Bitstream Vera ships with OpenOffice, it seems likely that a large number of users who are open source and free software advocates that still end up using Windows in certain instances, such as myself, might encounter the same display problem. So I'm more interested in what situations this might affect the user experience at drupal.org.

Jim Gettys wrote:

The common cause of this (and why you see it on some Linux systems and
not others) is that Apple has a patent on certain byte codes in the
TrueType hinter, effective only in the U.S. and Great Britain.

Some Linux distributions ship with the freetype truetype hinter disabled
(enabling a "autohinter") and some with it enabled.

Results are much higher when the TT hinter is able to do its full work.

It is pretty easy to rebuild freetype to enable the full hinting
to be effective.

The best results also require subpixel decimation to be enabled
(on flatpanels) increasing the effective horizontal resolution.
			Regards,
			- Jim