Re: Italic Serif fonts?

Today at 13:55, Rob Kudla wrote:

> So basically, we're looking for an italic serif font that sort of
> matches Vera Serif, and someone is going to have to do more
> design work on it than Bitstream appears to have done on any of
> the original Vera typefaces.  My solution thus far has been to
> stick with Garamond when I need to italicize some of my text...
> but that's no solution for the Vera project.

My impression is that Garamond and Vera don't have a matching "text
colour" (Garamond Italic seems much lighter, even more than it is
common for italics), and relative x-height seems to be smaller.  Also,
first Garamond I've found (copyrighted by Monotype, 1991-1995),
doesn't even match in glyph size for the same point size
(i.e. Garamond glyphs are around 12% smaller).

I think there're much better font sets for this, and Computer Modern
Unicode comes to my mind.  Yet, this ain't a good solution either
since it makes a complete set along with Computer Modern family of
fonts, and they may even turn to be darker than Vera Serif Italic
should be.

Cheers,
Danilo